Notices

dangerous indicators.......

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2006, 12:27 PM
island991
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dangerous indicators.......

.....crystal side repeaters with silver bulbs? got the bulbs today and they really cut the amber flash in the daylight. they are much more silvered than the philips silvervision front indicators.....which i guess is what makes them duller. and less visible which seems dangerous to me......??

What do people think? anyone use the silver sides? im temped to change back but the look so much better!! but safety HAS to come first......help would be appreciated? maybe there is a better make of bulb??
Old 22 March 2006, 12:51 PM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by island991
.....crystal side repeaters with silver bulbs? got the bulbs today and they really cut the amber flash in the daylight. they are much more silvered than the philips silvervision front indicators.....which i guess is what makes them duller. and less visible which seems dangerous to me......??

What do people think? anyone use the silver sides? im temped to change back but the look so much better!! but safety HAS to come first......help would be appreciated? maybe there is a better make of bulb??
I have crystal sides with silver bulbs. I don't think they are quite as visible. Some old geezer went spare at me the other day, as he thought I didn't indicate although I was. It was sunny tho, and he was an old geezer....
Old 22 March 2006, 01:40 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

i've got them too. seem ok to me. possibly a little duller but the car is silver, so the orange stands out pretty well when they are flashing
Old 15 April 2006, 06:36 PM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

Had the same problem and concerns. When I bought my replacement repeaters (front and side), they came with an unexpected (and free) set of Silvertec bulbs. Whilst the larger bulbs for the fronts were fine, the sides were dreadful. Even in overcast conditions, the light being emitted was very poor so I decided to use normal orange bulbs instead.

Very happy with the end result, even with a splash of orange still present.

Jonts.
Old 15 April 2006, 06:50 PM
island991
Scooby Regular

Ive kept my silver ones at the moment. seem to be ok, but jury is still out. its the half light kinda conditions that seem the dodgyist.
Old 17 April 2006, 09:28 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine seem fine in all weathers, bought the bulbs off ebay, flash fine. Because of where I park the car in work I see them every day so I've seen the effect in all weathers over the last 4 weeks
Old 29 April 2006, 03:07 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I had the same concerns after detango-ing my 03 WRX. My uncle followed me soon after and asked if I ever indicated ! Had lots of near misses and toots of horns and ultimately decided they were too dangerous. I now have LED's like these...

Most fittings available from HERE. Only drawback is that they use so little power the relay goes into hyperflash as if a bulb has blown. You can get around this by fitting a suitable resistor between the wires going to each bulb. I got some from Hein Gericke motorcycle store for £2 each.