Notices

MY06 HID Xenon headlights

Search this Thread

Old 17 March 2006, 10:58 PM
Aquanaut
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY06 HID Xenon headlights

The light these babies give off is GREAT. But its seems the bulbs are a dealer change only which is poo. Has anyone got any info about how to change these lights?
No bulb problems, I just don't like being told I can't do something as simple as change a bulb. OK so they are HIDs and there is a risk of electric shock if you discharge the balast.
Old 18 March 2006, 10:55 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

OEM HID blubs (or burners which is the correct name for the glass bit I'm advised) are often hardwired to the ballasts ie no plug and socket. Could be that I guess but changing the ballast as well is hardly rocket science.

On my Soobynet Hella 1000FFF the blub bit was held into the back of the reflector by little self tappers rather than the squidgy metal wire loop more familiar on conventional blubbed light units. Still can't see why that would make them dealer only serviceable.

But as the lifetime of an HID blub is much longer than a conventional blub it shouldn't be a reason for being put off HID's. The real answer is, in the interest of science, to take it all apart, see for yourself if changing them is feasible and then let us know.
Old 20 March 2006, 08:21 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

If they are D2S or D2R bulbs (it probably says on the top of the lamp housing) then they are bayonet connections underneath a screwed on cover (the round, ribbed bit sticking out the back of the housing). My OE JDM STi lamps were like this.

Unfortunately, it's a lamp unit removal job to change them...

As Chelspeed says, the life of an HID bulb is far in excess of a halogen - generally they last the life of the car etc so "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Having the bulbs out for a laugh could let moisture into the housing, you potentially could touch the glass surface and it's maybe a re-alignment job when you put the lights back in...

Apart from that - whip 'em out for a look and satisfy yourself...
Old 21 March 2006, 06:04 PM
Aquanaut
Scooby Regular

Cheers Apple.

I've only just got the car so "if it aint broke..." does apply as I am bound to break it. Roll on the 1000 mile oil change

Your lifetime comments are very useful - that cheers me up. Thinking about it of all the cars I see with a headlight out, none are of the HID design.

The offside is accessed by removal of the air intake which is easy, but the nearside looks like a battery out job. And that usually upsets lots of things.