Notices

Cibie Oscar Plus Driving/Spot Lights

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2006, 05:24 PM
gdaybruce
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Cibie Oscar Plus Driving/Spot Lights

Just passing on a small detail that others might want to be aware of. A while back I fitted a pair of Cibie Oscar + lights to replace the fogs on my MY99 Impreza, wiring them through the main beam circuit. Bought the Cibies of e-Bay and was surprised at how wide the beam was - almost more like fogs but much brigter and with greater range. Anyway, over time I also became fed up at the rate that bulbs blew. I downgraded from 130 watt to 100 watt but still they kept failing.

Next I read that the bulb holders could be unreliable so I decided to replace these and also to buy some new driving lense units since, by now, I was convinced that mine were, in fact, fogs. When I got the new lenses, however, they were identical to my old ones, confiming that I had, in fact, had driving lights all along. So I sent them back and swapped them for long range lenses, and also fitted the new bulb holders.

To my suprise, however, the spots were useless, scattering light into the tree tops, the hedges - in fact everywhere except straight ahead.

Further research revealed that there are two types of bulb holder for the H2 bulb: a short one and a long one. I, of course, had the wrong type - and always had had. I now have the correct version, that pushes the bulb much further into the light, and performance is transformed. I now have several hundred yards of focused, brilliant light and, touch wood, I haven't blown a bulb for some time, either.

I hate to think of the time I've spent messing about with all this and all for the sake of two small bulb holders. Still, makes the end result all the sweeter, I guess. Just a shame that the nights are getting shorter ...
Old 26 February 2006, 08:09 PM
IanK Spec C
Scooby Regular

Don't supose you've got the cibie part no's for the short clip and the long clip? I've changed the bulbs more often than my socks!

Cheers,

Ian
Old 26 February 2006, 09:42 PM
gdaybruce
Scooby Newbie

Try this link at Demon Tweeks http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/produc...code=CIB067515

They list part numbers but I'm not sure if they're Cibie or their own.

I actually bought mine from http://www.motoscope.co.uk/accessories.htm#Bulbs but be sure to ask for the holders for the Oscar+ when ordering from them!