De-Tangoing blob eye

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2006, 11:29 AM
S11EPS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default De-Tangoing blob eye

Hi guys,

I have read all the de-tango threads for a blob-eye, and have decide to have a go this weekend whilst my headlights are out of the car for my HID kit install (will be posting up a how to on the HID kit if anyone is interested).

My only problem at the moment is which indicator bulbs to use. My car is a late 2004 car (54 plate) that uses the 'push-in' type indicator bulbs.

Phillips do not produce a silvervision bulb in this bulb format (have spoken with Autolamps online).

Is my only option to paint the existing bulbs, or does someone know of a suitable bulb in this format?

Thanks in advance,

Sheps
Old 18 January 2006, 06:30 PM
richiewong
Twatful

PIAA and Silvatec both produce a wedge push fit indicator bulb for blobeyes.

You can get them from http://www.revolution.eu.com/ or http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/pro...cat=602&page=1
Old 19 January 2006, 10:46 AM
S11EPS
Scooby Regular

Many thanks for that info, much more preferable to painting the bulbs.

Have ordered from autobulbs direct, hoping they will be here in time for the weekend.

Planning on a de-tango and HID upgrade in one go.
Old 19 January 2006, 10:27 PM
Virtual Light
Scooby Regular

Smile HID units

Hi Sheps,

Which HID units did you go for. I'm just contemplating getting back into a scooby at the moment having been away from them for 4 years. (Used to have an STi5 Type-R limited).

I'm looking to get a 2004/5 STi but to make some mods, one of which will be the lights having had Xenons on cars since.

So would be interested to know which kit you went for and why. Also where to purchase from.

Many thanks,

Scott
Old 20 January 2006, 09:41 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

I've got a 2004 STi with HID's but I've also got the optional Subaru lights with four round lenses (morette equivalents) so they're on 4 off H7's rather than H1's and 9005's.

I went for Autolamps on line simply because they did a group buy for us a few years ago and you get such good advice from Nick the boss and such great service from Janet, the young lady who answers the phone. Not the cheapest but you get what you pay for.
Old 20 January 2006, 06:33 PM
S11EPS
Scooby Regular

Hi Virtual light,

Like Chelspeed, I would recommend autolamps online.

The kit I'm using came from a previous car (Astra Turbo convertible) and the kit is now 2 1/2 years old, but still working perfectly.

I've had to buy some new bulbs, as Astra was H7 and Scoob is H1.

Autlamps online are incredibly helpful and very very knowledgable. Their main guy there has been in the industry working for manufacturers etc since year dot, so I doubt you'd find a better vendor.

I'll do my best to put together a competent "How To" for those that might be interested. I'm planning on De-Tangoing at the same time, whilst I have the headlights out of the car.

Sheps
Old 20 January 2006, 09:10 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

Silvertech blubs do the business - and to open the lens just heat the seal with a hairdryer as oppsed to heating in the oven
Old 20 January 2006, 11:02 PM
Virtual Light
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thanks for the advice guys. Will add that to the list of parts to cost up....

Going out to drive a few this weekend.. first time since the 02 STi so hoping for a dry day to have some fun.

Will be looking to de-tango the lights at the same time as fitting the HIDs. That HID guide would be very useful if you manage it Sheps.

Cheers,
Scott
Old 22 January 2006, 09:16 PM
S11EPS
Scooby Regular

Got all this done at the weekend.

Putting about £600 worth of headlights in the oven was a little daunting, but it all worked out perfectly (I had the car cleaned today, and no sign of moisture in the headlights).

Infortunately my silvervision indicator bulbs hadn't arrived, so in the meantime I've painted my original bulbs orange.

The HID's were less straight forward. They should have been plug and play, but required new fused supplies and relays fitting, as the current draw from the ballasts was spazzing out the subaru relay.

Because light was fading fast and I still had the front end of my car missing I had to abandon photographs and note taking, and get the car back together (I knew I should have started earlier!!) so no "how-to" I'm afraid. But, if anyone has any questions, or if I can help anyone with their install, give me a shout.