Another PIAA problem

Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2005, 03:43 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Another PIAA problem

Hi Folks

My PIAAs have stopped working for some reason...
The symptoms are as follows:

Stalk light switch in "Off" position - (green) indicator light in front fog switch is off with switch in both positions.
Stalk light switch in "Sidelights" position - (green) indicator in front fog switch is on, but PIAAs stay off (as expected)
Stalk light switch in "On" position - - (green) indicator in front fog switch is on, but PIAAs stay off (as expected)
Stalk light switch in "Mainbeam" position - - (green) indicator in front fog switch is OFF, and PIAAs stay off

Any ideas? i'm thinking a relay has somehow broken....
Not the time of year I want to be without proper lighting!
Old 30 October 2005, 03:59 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Wink

Sounds as if you had 'em wired to work with main beam, but with the OE foglight switch ultimately controlling whther they come on with main beam or not?

First job for me would be to get someone to select main beam, while I stood and felt the relay to see if it clicks. If it doesn't, first check all connections, then check also any fuses, either ON the relay, or in line to it from battery,
then try replacing relay.

My HID's went out on a recent night drive down France, (I REALLY needed them on dark French roads, no catseyes), and it turned out to be the relay which had let in water, then rusted solid

Now replaced all the relays I fitted, and sealed each with Araldite before re-fitting them. Takes 10 mins to do.

Alcazar
Old 30 October 2005, 04:17 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Vehicle wiring products sell water resistant relays. Small additional cost but work a treat.
Old 30 October 2005, 08:51 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Alcazar - which relay should I be feeling - the one on the bracket near the battery?
Old 31 October 2005, 07:00 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Mungo
Alcazar - which relay should I be feeling - the one on the bracket near the battery?
Errrrrrm.............without seeing it, I dunno. Does it feed the lights? I'd certainly suspect it as the one, but are there others that look aftermarket?

Remember, check it's (or the one in the FEED from the battery to it's), fuse first.

If you need a new one, Halfords supply, as will Vehicle Wiring Products by Mail, or any decent car electrics place etc. You want the same type as you had, so take the old one, or ask for a standard on/off 4 (or 5, if yours has) terminal type.

To replace it, draw yourself a diagram of which wire goes to which pin<(terminal) they are numbered:

30.....FROM battery (via fuse maybe)
85.....FROM lights main beam
86.....TO earth
87.....TO lights.

HTH Alcazar
Old 31 October 2005, 06:12 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Mungo

Under the bonnet there should be a large white relay block with PIAA on it. Take the plastice cover off and you will find that there is a fuse in there which has probably blown.

If it's not that, then check the bulbs in the lamps themselves or check you're getting 12v to the connector with them on. The lights will only work with the switch enabled and main beam selected.

Mike