Notices

02 STI RA HID lights, continental ability.

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2005, 06:26 PM
wrxtankie
Scooby Regular

Location: A.K.A RAIDEN, Watford & Tidworth. V7 STI Type RA Spec C, V2 STI,97JDM WRX, Daytona 675R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with wiring, Swapping HID to Morretes 02 sti ra

The STI HID lamps cannot be flicked to left hand drive pattern, so i´ve bought some morretes in left hand configuration.
My problem is the connectors dont match.

I need to find wiring diagram for 02 STI RA or im buggered
I tried a search but to no avail

Last edited by wrxtankie; 29 October 2005 at 02:28 PM.
Old 29 October 2005, 02:29 PM
wrxtankie
Scooby Regular

Location: A.K.A RAIDEN, Watford & Tidworth. V7 STI Type RA Spec C, V2 STI,97JDM WRX, Daytona 675R

All i need is the wiring diagram pre HID ballast i think.
Old 30 October 2005, 03:29 PM
wrxtankie
Scooby Regular

well i managed to do it.
I got rid of all the relays and extra wiring on the morettes, and just wired them in direct with some blade connectors into the original harness, I may now be able to fit the HID bulbs into the morettes with a bit of jiggery pokery on the metal clip. Although i think it maybe against the law out here as they wont be auto leveling.

The next task will be trying to figure out the wiring for the adjusters.
Old 01 November 2005, 12:50 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by wrxtankie
The next task will be trying to figure out the wiring for the adjusters.
This is where the fun starts...

Get hold of an STi spec levelling switch - either approx 40+ quid from a dealer or from a scrapyard it's exactly the same as one in later Nissan Almeras and maybe Micras. Try to get one with the rear connector still attached and as much wire as you can get out of the loom before you have to cut it off - it makes later connections easier...

From what I remember, there's a 12V feed to the switch and then each click stop on the front distributes this to a seperate terminal / wire on the rear with a common earth. Be careful opeing the switch for small springs and mechanical bits inside and also choosing the feed connection as the front is lit by LEDs and they can be blown if connected the wrong way round...

On the back of the light is a 6(?)-way plug that's the levelling connector - You need to work out the earth and then by applying 12V to the other terminals, you can drive the motor to give you the different levels...

If you get something like (for example - don't take these as gospel as I can't remember)

Pin 1 - earth
Pin 2 - beam down a lot
Pin 3 - beam down a bit
Pin 4 - beam down a bit more etc

then you need to connect the switch accordingly so that the earths are common and the feed from Terminal 1 on the sitch goes to Pin 3, terminal 2 to Pin 4, terminal 3 to Pin 1 etc so that each successive position of the dash switch drives the lights down a bit further...

Obviously, wire both sets of lights to the same terminal / pin pattern so they don't go cross-eyed when you move the switch

I had mine set up so that they were legal on position 1, posn 0 was slightly up (country road setting) and then posns 2 and 3 were down for load levelling. The HIDs were so damn good that I could set the flat bit of the beam pattern just under the rear window of a car in front and it didn't blind the driver but I got maximum vision

Hope this helps - just don't think you can get it done in an hour...

Andy
Old 01 November 2005, 01:10 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Hang on - you've fitted Morettes into a car with STi lights in normally?

In which case, ignore the above and get hold of a WRX switch - these work on having a constant 0V & 12V output and a variable voltage output on the third wire to drive the levelling motor.

It's then a case of working out which wire is which and connecting them up and playing until it drives the correct way...

I must remember to put my brain in gear when I read threads...
Old 01 November 2005, 08:38 PM
wrxtankie
Scooby Regular

LOL, I confuse myself sometimes. It passed its test today so im in no hurry now but i will do it. I think i may re fit HID into the morettes if i can find a h7 fit with the normal phillips type end on the bulb (the only ones ive seen have a bunch of wires hanging out of them. Alternatively the STI HID´s may fit with some bending of the clip on the morettes, not sure if the light will be focused correctly though.