P1 front fogs question

Search this Thread

Old 19 October 2005, 11:48 PM
DAVE26
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1 front fogs question

ok so the fogs on the P1 only come on when you have full beam on right
am i right in saying that when the full beam is on that a 12vv feed is sent to the push on/off swich ?
if so do you think i could change this wire to a like ignition on 12v feed ?
so i can have the fogs on while i just have side lights on or such, but without the full beam

if this is the case its just a matter of a bit of the ol voltmeter and finding which pin on the switch has the initial 12v input and change it to the ignition feed wouldnt ya say ???

dave
Old 19 October 2005, 11:51 PM
LegacySTi
Scooby Regular

i would say yeah. Would see no problem or reason doing that or putting it on a switch!! Seperate relay make sure all done proper!!
Old 20 October 2005, 09:13 AM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

A P1 doesn't have fog lamps, they are driving lamps. That's why they only operate with main beam.

We felt that having a lamp you could use every time you put main beam on was a much better bet on a high performance car than a pathetic foglamp that didn't do anything and could only be used legally (in fog or falling snow when visibility is less than 100m) on very few occasions. All that happens with foglamps is that people drive round with them on with the mistaken thought that they look cool, dazzling oncoming traffic. We don't want to look like a BMW or Renault driver do we??

Mike
Old 20 October 2005, 09:42 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Wink

If you wire them as you say, and they are, as Mike says, driving lights, you run the risk of blinding oncoming traffic, and getting a pull from Plod. Would you drive around all day with main beams on?

AFAIK, lighting regs require lights meant to be used as dipped headlights to be a certain distance above ground, as well as a certain distance from the outer, and inner bodywork edges of the car. That is unless you have others that follow those regs, you can then mount AUXILLIARY lights virtually where you like. Whjat you can't do is run just on auxilliaries and sides, unless the auxilliaries can be dipped or conform to regs

If you alter the wiring as you say, your vehicle will, IMHO, become illegal, and you risk prosecution.
Your choice.

Alcazar
Old 23 October 2005, 12:08 AM
DAVE26
Scooby Regular

thanks guys
ill leave her as is

dave