Notices

How to relay rear fog light via Rear spoiler brake light?

Search this Thread

Old 10 August 2005, 07:13 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to relay rear fog light via Rear spoiler brake light?

Sorry, another rear fog light question to go with the others on here.

Basically, my first scoob had a rear fog 'relay' fitted by the dealer's mechanic when I bought it which turned the rear spoiler brake light into a rear fog by keeping it on while the front fogs were on. Once the fogs were turned off it immediatly acted like a normal third rear brake light again. On the second scoob I had to physically swap the spoiler light plug around come MOT time to pass and the current scoob had a nasty hang down one that was knackered so I removed it. I would really, really like to get something that works along the lines of my first scoob. Would anyone have any ideas about what they would have done to make that setup work.

Cheers,

Nick
Old 11 August 2005, 08:58 PM
NeilA
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

5-pin switch over relay:

Pin 85 to earth
Pin 86 to Fog light feed
Pin 87 to Fog light feed
Pin 87a to brake light feed
Pin 30 to hi-level stop light

Not exactly elegant, but it would work. When fog off, pin 30 connects to pin87a - so comes on with brakes. With fog on, relay energised, pin 30 connects to pin 87 - so light on all the time.

Where you put the relay is up to you - Near the rear lights may be best for easy access to all wires. I am assuming that the feed for the fog light is up to the current draw - if it ran one before, should be OK.

Hope this helps.

Make sure that the 5 pin relay is a change over one, not a twin make/break or double make/break, but if it has pins labelled as above it is the right one!

Neil.

Just seen your (other?) motor for sale - I am in Ash Vale during week, so if you want a hand with the relay...

Last edited by NeilA; 12 August 2005 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Offer of Help