Notices

Cibie/LF lights upgrade to HID - (H2 bulb)

Search this Thread

Old 05 August 2005, 10:44 PM
bushy555
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cibie/LF lights upgrade to HID - (H2 bulb)

Hi all,

Have a pair of Cibie and Lightforce lights which both utilise the H2 bulb.
I'd dearly love to upgrade these to HID bulbs by purchasing a self-install HID upgrade kit, however after days and days of googling and searching on the net, it appears as though not one single manufacturer on this planet makes a H2 HID bulb. (Heh heh! Please - try going looking and tell me I am wrong)

Anyone know of such a HID kit for the H2 bulb?

cheers,
dave.
Old 06 August 2005, 08:34 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Think you're probably right. The H2 is physically very small and relys on the mounting flange for earth return. Either of these could rule it out as a candidate for HID upgrade, probably the first though.

The HID conversions are based on an off the shelf bulb (the D2R or D2S, forget which) with a new base bonded on to mimic the base of the bulb being converted, H1, H7 etc. As the D2R is twice the size of the H2 sticking an H2 base on will leave it twice the size of the H2. Even if it then physically fits inside the lens which is unlikely, the HID arc will be at a very different place to the H2 filament which means the optics of the lamp won't work correctly.

Bite the bullet and buy some new lights that take an H1 bulb and get the conversion, you won't be disappointed.
Old 07 August 2005, 08:56 PM
bushy555
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the info.
Old 08 August 2005, 08:32 AM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Cool

Something rings a bell that an H2 bulb is the old foglight bulb and is also fitted to Integrale headlights...

If it is the same then Autolamps / www.hid-online.com do a HID bulb for them as a mate got a kit from them

Might be worth a try contacting them...
Old 09 August 2005, 07:43 PM
SUBTYPER
Scooby Senior

I got an HID headlight kit for my classic Impreza any ideas on fitting them or instructions on how to do it. Or is it worth letting an Auto electrician do it.
Old 10 August 2005, 12:49 AM
bushy555
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Apple
Something rings a bell that an H2 bulb is the old foglight bulb and is also fitted to Integrale headlights...

If it is the same then Autolamps / www.hid-online.com do a HID bulb for them as a mate got a kit from them

Might be worth a try contacting them...
Pulled apart another set of lights (Lightforce) that also use a H2 bulb. Ripped out the guts and a H1/H3 HID bulb will easily fit in there. Measured the distances of a H1 and H3, and ended up ordering a H3 which is closer to desired measurements of the H2, thus the optics should be fairly close.

Will replace the cibies with these LF's. They are also focusable (spread to spot) so are way better anyway.

---

As for doing the HID upgrade on above classic subie, should be a simple matter of pulling out the old bulbs, putting in the newies. Mounting the ballasts as close as possible to the headlights due to the short high-voltage wires, cutting the hi/lo beam wires going to the old headlight bulb plug, and wiring these directly to the ballasts. Then plugging in the high voltage wires from ballasts to the new bulbs.
Yes, it _should_ be that easy. (But, of course as always it wont be.)
Old 10 August 2005, 02:16 PM
SUBTYPER
Scooby Senior

Thanks bushy that sounds great will maybe have a go then. Was just worried when somebody told me or should I say confused me that the lights were negative or positive or something.

Trending Topics

Old 16 August 2005, 01:49 PM
Autolamps
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SUBTYPER
Thanks bushy that sounds great will maybe have a go then. Was just worried when somebody told me or should I say confused me that the lights were negative or positive or something.

While getting any light source to fit into a hole in a reflector is reasonably easy the optical performance is much more complicated. You need to understand the optical interface between the light source (focal point) the reflector and lens. Without this knowledge you will have no correct light distribution and as such no beam which make the exercise pointless. Light is only any good if it’s where you need it to be to be able to drive by. The biggest advances in lamp technology in recent years have been computer designed reflectors so that a higher % of the lumens from the lamp is translated into luminance where you need it.

Unfortunately the H2 is such a compact halogen lamp that it is impossible to realistically convert it to gas discharge, sorry

Nick
autolamps-online.com
hid-online.com
Old 17 August 2005, 03:16 PM
spider
Scooby Regular

Question

Pardon the blatant thread hijack, but does anyone know if it's possible to fit an HID upgrade to a Morette twin lamp setup on a classic Scoob?

I guess it's only the dip beam that would need doing as both dip & main are on for main beam - no idea what H type the bulbs are in each though?

Cheers,
Steve
Old 17 August 2005, 06:06 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

I'm sure it's possible. I've got the morette equivalent on an 04 car, the one sold by Subaru as an official option. I've HID'd both dip and main beam.

That particular one has H7 blubs for both the dip and main beam lights. I got a pair of 4200K H7 HID kits from Nick's (see above post) Autolamps-online company. Absolute superb, best mod I've ever done to a car.

You need to whip the bulbs out and see what they are for a definitive answer.

I seem to recall from previous discussions that some classic morette's are H4 on the outer lights (dip and main) and H1 on the inner lights (main beam only). If that's the case the H4 is difficult for various reasons but doing the H1 main beam will be a piece of p***.

To my mind a decent main beam is a million times more important than the dip. Course if you just want the blue looking dip for crusing round town you won't agree....
Old 17 August 2005, 11:04 PM
Fizz
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

also have a look at Here for other kits
Old 18 August 2005, 10:48 AM
spider
Scooby Regular

Chelspeed, nope - I would be after better lights cos I'm getting on in years and my eyes aren't as sharp as they once were! LOL.

More light on dip would be my first preference purely because I seem to spend more time driving on dip due to other traffic, and the Morettes are quite good on full beam.

Fizz - ta, I'll have a shufti.

Cheers,
Steve