Notices

Alarm sounding problem

Search this Thread

Old 25 July 2005, 10:14 PM
Garvey69
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm sounding problem

After messing about trying to trace alarms wires around the car I have come to loss.

The alarm is fine except the siren has been disconnected for some reason, I have tried to find where the wires were disconnected but evryting looks fine. Lights flash, keypad works and the remote works but no siren.

Anyone know how to solve this?
Old 25 July 2005, 10:37 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

has the bleep been turned off?
Old 25 July 2005, 10:39 PM
Garvey69
Scooby Regular

There no sound comng out of it at all.
Old 26 July 2005, 01:20 PM
Sigma Sam
BANNED

Originally Posted by Garvey69
After messing about trying to trace alarms wires around the car I have come to loss.

The alarm is fine except the siren has been disconnected for some reason, I have tried to find where the wires were disconnected but evryting looks fine. Lights flash, keypad works and the remote works but no siren.

Anyone know how to solve this?
Has the car been into a body shop or has the vehicle's battery been run flat recently?
Sometimes if the vehicle's battery is run flat the alarm ECU and siren can go out of sync. as the siren has its own power supply. This leads to the sympton you describe of no sound at all, although everything else works fine.
The siren is unlikely to have been disconnected.
The problem can be easily fixed by discharging the siren's internal battery.
To do this:
- Locate the alarm ECU (you should be able to hear the relays clicking if you trigger it with no siren!)
- Remove the alarm ECU from its security case (this requires the use of anti-tamper bits).
- Remove the white 4-pole connector from the alarm unit (this is essential - do not attempt to procede without removing this connector, otherwise the Red wire in pin 1 will be 12v permanent live)
- At the 4-pole connector running to the siren (NOT THE ECU CONNECTOR) short accross the Red wire in Pin 1 and the Black wire in pin 3 for several seconds using a short length of wire.
- Reconnect the 4-pole connector to the alarm ECU
The siren should now operate normally, although will take several hours to fully re-charge the back-up battery.
Best of luck
SS

Last edited by Sigma Sam; 26 July 2005 at 01:23 PM.
Old 26 July 2005, 08:54 PM
Garvey69
Scooby Regular

This souds like it coud be the problem as it as been in a bodyshop and also had the battery replaced, but for the life of me I cant find the ECU. The only place I can think to look now is behind the centre console but its to dark to see now so I will have another go tomorrow. Indicators dont help whilst tracing the clicking relays, so idea remove the inicator fuse.
Old 27 July 2005, 10:07 AM
Sigma Sam
BANNED

This souds like it coud be the problem as it as been in a bodyshop and also had the battery replaced, but for the life of me I cant find the ECU. The only place I can think to look now is behind the centre console but its to dark to see now so I will have another go tomorrow. Indicators dont help whilst tracing the clicking relays, so idea remove the inicator fuse.
What model and year is the vehicle? If it is a UK supplied car Ican let you know the ECU location.
SS
Old 27 July 2005, 07:20 PM
Garvey69
Scooby Regular

Its a UK 2000 AWD Turbo, 1999 model, classic shape
Old 27 July 2005, 09:37 PM
Sigma Sam
BANNED

Its a UK 2000 AWD Turbo, 1999 model, classic shape
The ECU is located in a metal enclosure above the steering column. You will need to remove the lower dash panel (two screws either end at the bottom, plastic screw clip at the door-shut end then pull the top edge forward to unclip. The metal plate now visable and secured with 3 10mm headed bolts also needs to be removed to access the unit.
The alarm enclosure is gold in colour and about 5" x 5" and 1" deep. You will need anti-tamper torx bits to remove the unit.
Best of luck,
SS
Old 01 August 2005, 09:48 PM
Garvey69
Scooby Regular

SS you are genious spent the last hour fiddling around trying to get the ECU in and out but it was well worth it, alarm system now fully working