Notices

Reasoned arguments for the fog light debate!

Search this Thread

Old 11 July 2005, 03:34 PM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reasoned arguments for the fog light debate!

OK, time to join in - only to find the thread closed - how unfair is that?

Hopefully, starting this thread will not upset too many people including the moderators.

As has been stated previously, it is illegal for fog lights to be used in anything other than fog or falling snow with less than 100m (or thereabouts) visibility. I am not aware of a law preventing the use of anything other than gloves in a glove box, wellingtons in a boot or similar!

Fog lights also annoy me for a number of reasons, some of them are linked:

- They do create more dazzle.
- Their vertical adjustment is not covered by the MOT, unlike headlights, thereby potentially creating even more dazzle. Who knows how to adjust their fog lights correctly?
- They are not “more visible” than dipped headlights.
- There is absolutely no need to use them during daylight hours under any circumstances as they are for seeing with not to be seen.
- They have no effect for driving at more than 15-20 mph as their lighting capability falls off the end of the bonnet and will not give sufficient warning of any hazards other than in situations for which they are designed – MAYBE!
- They use up more engine power (read more petrol, less performance) if combined with headlights.
- They are not more effective than main beam.

Consequently, the thing I find most annoying is the lack of any reasoned thought process which goes into the use of fog lights. Apart from those who use them no matter what and many opinions have previously been published on these people, there are those who must think "It's a little misty, I had better turn on my fog lights". They don't seem to think "having turned them on they make no difference whatsoever”. Perhaps more thought should go into the process of driving by all.

My last reason above re not being more effective than main beam may surprise a few people but try it out. You can actually see objects further away in thick fog/snow with main beam than any fog light that I have experienced and that includes Cibie Oscars. It just appears to be worse because you get a lot of reflections from the fog/snow and you think you can not see as far – ignore it and look through it – you can see further. In fact, in the past (read many years ago), I found the best option for distance was Cibie spotlights (not driving lights) as they penetrated further with minimal glare but they were rubbish for corners!

I’m of the opinion that MOTs should be failed if, when the lights are turned on for testing, the fog lights come on if the weather that day is not fog or falling snow.

There you go; reasoned arguments for most of the issues with a bit of opinion thrown in.

The last laugh has to be with those who do not use fog lights as their cars are faster and cheaper to run than those who do. No doubt someone will come up with some figures to prove it is minimal but minimal is still an effect.

And I was only looking up the latest on which is the best headlight bulb these days!!

ARE YOU going to argue with me?
Old 11 July 2005, 07:31 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a good, reasoned post! I actually asked for the last one to be locked, as it was going nowhere.

I find that in fog having lights on highbeam and using the adjuster controls to wind them right down is often affective (butt hat's another story).

Anyway, apart from congratulating you on a good post I'm afraid I won't be participating in this one as I have some paint which seems to be drying and is more fun to watch than this

I'm sure I won't be missed...