Notices

fog light on sti rear lights

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2005, 07:35 PM
Dave uk blue mica
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fog light on sti rear lights

i've just bought some sti rear lights for my uk car, i want to wire the fog up like it is in my uk light, is there a way of doing this? i've seen it done so anyone got any ideas?
Old 17 May 2005, 11:32 PM
MDBinaWagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dave uk blue mica
i've just bought some sti rear lights for my uk car, i want to wire the fog up like it is in my uk light, is there a way of doing this? i've seen it done so anyone got any ideas?

I've fitted one of these
in the driver's side fog light bulb holder, swapped the light wiring from my UK lights to my STI ones, removed the bulb from the reversing light and put the fog light where the reversing light goes.

Martin.
Old 18 May 2005, 09:38 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

If you look at the STI rear compared to the UK rear, you can just use a hole cutter and make a hole in the STI rear light as per the UK rear light. If you file the hole to accept the lugs from the bulb holder it should fit quite nicely and you can use the UK light loom.
Old 18 May 2005, 07:07 PM
Dave uk blue mica
Scooby Regular

thanks mate thats what i want to do, don't really fancy using the reverse light so i'll try what you've said.
Old 19 May 2005, 10:39 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Go over to the P1 owners club forum and do a search for STI rear lights. Theres a DIY guide to fitting the fog into the rear cluster.

Only thing I would say is you need a hoover with a small attachment to get the burr out of the cluster after you've cut the hole. I couldn't get all the bits out so actually flushed the bits out with water and then left the cluster in the airing cupboard for a week. Seems fine and theres no misting in the cluster itself.

Hardest thing is getting the cluster off in the first place. Undo the bolts and just keep pulling until it starts to move. Use an old screwdriver to cut the sealant off as it moves outwards to ease it off. Clean off all the old sealant and reseal. Don't do the nuts up too tight. Leave until the next day and then tighten up to get a good seal.

Only other fiddly issue is that you may need to use bulb holders from the JDM loom as some of the UK holders don't fit. The JDM loom on the ones I had was in a mess but I had the JDM holders so made up looms from parts of each.

Hope that helps.
Old 10 August 2005, 04:53 PM
Nick Read
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
If you look at the STI rear compared to the UK rear, you can just use a hole cutter and make a hole in the STI rear light as per the UK rear light. If you file the hole to accept the lugs from the bulb holder it should fit quite nicely and you can use the UK light loom.
Someone here might just be able to help me. I just bought a WRX wagon with what look like STi lights (they're red and white anyway). Anyway, the reversing light isn't working and the rear fog light has been wired in with the front ones. So I decided to give it an overhaul - objective, to wire the rear foglight with its own switch and get the reversing light working.

So I got the covers off to have a look into the clusters and on the nearside it is totally standard, except the reversing light doesn't work at all, even though the bulb's fine. On the offside, the reversing light appears to have been taken out of its hole (now left empty) and somehow it has been wired to work off the front fog light switch. A hole has been cut in the top of the cluster into which it has been put, so that it shines through the upper red lens.

A few problems then - how (and why) has the foglight been wired up like that? Wouldn't it have been easier to use a rear foglight switch and a new bulbholder and bulb, then run a wire down to the back to make a completely new, separate circuit? Why couldn't the offside reversing light stay where it was?

THe other thing is, where is the actual reverse light switch? On the gear linkage? Or the gearbox? Or coming from the ECU? Any ideas?

And lastly, what am I likely to find when I look at this foglight switch in the dash. I'd assumed it would be a simple 'Y' connection with one switch controlling two circuits, but now it's complicated by the fact that it seems to be tied up with the reversing light circuit?

Help!