Notices

P1 spot lights

Search this Thread

Old 09 April 2005, 02:39 PM
R 14NS R
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1 spot lights

just bought some P1 spots for my sti 5, had them painted to match and i have been told the wiring for them is already there but cannot find it, is this correct?if not how do i go about wiring them up?

thanks
Old 09 April 2005, 03:06 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Wink

I assume you have the covers, brackets, etc?

Wiring is straightforward: you need to buy a standard on/off 4 or 5 terminal relay, preferably with a fuse on it.

Now, working behind the n/s headlight, identify which wire FEEDS the mainbeam live, tap into it using a Scotchlok etc, and run this wire to relay terminal 85, thinner wire will do. Take a second length of the same stuff and run it from relay terminal 86 to a good earth or battery -ve.

Now take a short length of thicker wire, and run it from battery +ve to relay terminal 30.

Two more lengths of the same run to the lights from relay terminal 87, use a piggyback connector if your relay only has 4 terminals. Don't forget plastic covers on all spade terminals to avoid possible short circuits.

Finally, run two more lengths of the thicker stuff from the lights back to earth, battery -ve again is best.

As you can see, any foglight wiring is redundant. The lights will now come on with main beam, and, more importantly, extinguish when main beam is de-selected, as the law requires.

There is a method of using the foglight wiring to turn the lights on and off as well, so that you can control whether to have them come on with main beam, but if no wiring seems to be present, I'd not worry.

Alcazar
Old 10 April 2005, 12:12 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

There is a method of using the foglight wiring to turn the lights on and off as well, so that you can control whether to have them come on with main beam

If you have foglamps already installed these are the changes made to make them operate on mainbeam only and have the facility to switch them on and off

Old 11 April 2005, 09:04 AM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

The foglamp wiring should be there to just plug into but it may be taped up out of the way. All you need to do is plug in a std foglamp relay and switch and by using the printed instructions above, you will have exactly the same system as a P1

The std headlamp wiring is rather confusing if you are trying to take a main beam trigger from behind the light as the polarity is the opposite to what you would expect. When the headlamps are on there will be a permanent +12v feed to the central terminal that would normally be an earth. Two separate relays then earth the particular filament that needs illuminating. This all means that if you connect a relay trigger wire to the 'main beam' terminal, you will get it activating with dip beam as it pulls a +12v feed through the unilluminated filament. The trigger for our PIAA kit (which is at the back of the headlamp) actually connects to the dip beam circuit.

Mike