Notices

Driving Light Fitting Regs

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2004, 11:32 PM
GU5
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving Light Fitting Regs

Does anybody know the fitting regs on driving lights?

Can I have them mounted so that instead of the top of the lamp being at the 12 o'clock position it's at the 2 o'clock position?

Cheers,

Gus
Old 30 November 2004, 01:22 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

There's nothing in the regs (or there didn't used to be) to specify that you can't do this, but why on earth would you want to?

Given that the shape of the driving light beam is a flattened oval, you'd end up with light all over the place, hardly any spread and a very bright patch on the road in front of you Waste of good driving lights.

However, unless the lights you bought are not round, (in which case, why buy 'em?), you can almost certainly turn the reflectors back to 12 o'clock top, even if the cases are at 2 o'clock top., with a fairly simple mod.

You could aslo buy long range (spot) lights which have a far more circular beam pattern, and wouldn't have the probs outlined above ....................assuming you could live with the "tunnel vision" effect they tend to have.

Alcazar
Old 30 November 2004, 09:56 PM
GU5
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted to do this as the Cibie driving lights I had on there had totally corroded beyond repair. They did have some very useful mounting brackets though

The closest lights I could find the the correct size were a set of Rally Giant's, they fit into the space but the lense holding device is at the bottom of the light. To fit these would require cutting large sections of the bumper away, or rotating them by 45 degrees.

I deceided to fit them at 45 degrees and fitted with 55w bulbs they p155 all over the Cibies, even when they had 120w bulbs Not too bad for a 30 quid set of lights

Think I'll try a set of 100w bulbs to see what difference that makes

Just wanted to make sure they wouldn't need removing at MOT time