Notices

HID upgrade for WRX

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2004, 08:59 PM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID upgrade for WRX

I have a 2003 MY WRX and am looking to upgrade the lighting. The Autobulbs website states the following, as being part of International regulations for HID lighting:

The headlamps must be correctly aligned according to the regulations.

The vehicle must be fitted with an automatic headlamp leveling system.

The vehicle is fitted with an automatic headlight cleaning system. Without such the dirt acts as a diffuser for the light and distributes it in areas beyond the prescribed range.

The third and final point suggests that this system can't be fitted to a WRX, due to it not having a headlight cleaning system.

Can anyone throw any light on this?!!! Can I fit it or not?

Cheers,
Dan
Old 06 September 2004, 10:52 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

not sure if my MY03 has headlight washers- never noticed them tbh. One thing I have noticed, using uprated lamps (rather than HID) is that the near side main beam blows with amazing regularity (went through 5 last winter!!!)
Old 07 September 2004, 01:09 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Bit of a grey area.

For original equipment (ie fitted from new) HID's they need to be fitted together with auto height adjustment (which WRX does not have, it's manual from a switch inside the car) and headlamp washing which again the WRX does not have.

But for MOT there are no rules about either auto levelling or headlamp washing for cars fited with HID's.

So it would seem you can retrofit HID to a currently registered car without either auto adjustment or washing and be OK.

And anyway how's anybody going to catch you? Just do it. I have, to my last two cars. Superb, best mod I've ever done. Autolamps on-line are the boys!

Edited to say the regs are for muppets in BM's who drive round with dirty headlamps with too many sets of golf clubs in the boot dazzling everyone. We'd never do this in a scoobie so the regs don't apply to us.

Last edited by Chelspeed; 07 September 2004 at 01:12 AM.
Old 11 February 2005, 12:59 PM
scubascooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chelspeed
Bit of a grey area.

For original equipment (ie fitted from new) HID's they need to be fitted together with auto height adjustment (which WRX does not have, it's manual from a switch inside the car) and headlamp washing which again the WRX does not have.
I wonder what they mean by "automatic". I press a button and the headlamps get cleaned, I turn a dial and the headlamp beams are adjusted. No damp cloths or screwdrivers involved so it seems fairly automatic to me.