Notices

Which dash lights should light on a 98 turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 11 August 2001, 01:46 AM
5door98
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steve, thanks for the swift reply. The irony is I don't care as long as it ain't broken!!! I had a merc and a high spec BMW before going back to a scooby. It's funny how people who drive a car that doesn't inspire them put importance on this kind of thing. There are several features on the turbo which if it didn't feel so good behind the wheel would bug the hell out of you. For example the rear window kill switch kills all the windows, the rear wash wipe (5 door) doesn't have intermittent, the standard stereo is sh**e, the aircon is powered by a scalextric motor..... need I go on. If more manufacturers realised that it's the basics that make yer boxer shorts smoulder you wouldn't give a toss and they would make a fortune. I keep reading in the press about the scooby turbo MK1 being 'out of fashion' but with the exception of the Clio 172 I haven't test driven much that lights my fire. I do 40k mls a year in my turbo and the fact that the hazard lights dont illuminate doesn't bother me that much. All hail the ugly japenese box that lights our fire!!!! BTW I have consumed one and a half bottles of wine and probably shouldn't be gushing so much but at least when I wake up sober in the morning I won't have to kiss the car and I won't have that incredibly silent 15mins while the taxi arrives:-)
Old 11 August 2001, 12:43 PM
5door98
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Somethings been bugging me for a while now and I'm sure someone here can help. Most switches are lit on my Scoob dash but some aren't. One's that aren't are:-

1. Bright switch. Seems daft to have a button to change the lighting level that doesn't light in the dark.
2. Hazard switch. Would have thought this was a necessity, (perhaps even the law?!!)
3. Headlamp washer button

It's my second turbo and I can't for the life of me remember if they lit on my last one. I asked the service guys at main dealer and they scratched their heads too which made me feel less of an idiot. I thought about checking one of the Turbos on the forecourt but on the brightest of summer afternoons you look a bit of a tosser squinting at the dash with your hands cupped around a switch!!

With subarus abilty to cut back on items on the turbo that are present on other models it may just be the way they are, (Some of us do long motorway miles in between A road blasts.... useable cup holder? Don't be silly!) but some feedback might stop me from wasting half an hour prising out each switch to hunt out a bulb. TIA
Old 11 August 2001, 12:58 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Intrigued, and with nothing better to do I just popped out and looked at my MY98 4-door. The bright, headlamp washer and, I am equally surprised especially as I hadn't noticed before, the hazard warning switches do not illuminate. You may sleep soundly

Steve.