Modifying clear rear clusters to include fog light

Search this Thread

Old 22 June 2001, 10:10 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Hi all

I'm due to pick up a pair of clear STI rear light clusters for my UK MY00 soon, and would appreciate some advice on what modification they require to add the fog light:

* Can I just cut a hole in the driver's side light and fit the existing bulb holder?

* Do I need some kind of adapter, or can I just try cutting the hole to the correct shape?

* Are the correct reflectors and dividers fitted to the STI clusters, so that the fog and brake lights appear the same as the UK spec ones?

* If not, is it possible to remove just the clear lens from the STI cluster and transplant it into the original? Or is everything glued together a bit too tightly for that?

I'd also appreciate any other advice on removing the old lights and fitting the new ones in a way that won't leak

Ta

Andy.
Old 22 June 2001, 05:02 PM
PGMabley
Scooby Regular

I need this fog light info too!

Removal and refitting was .5hr job and relatively easy.

Peel back trim behind lights (various popper type plastic fixings) and remove (4 or 5?) nuts behind light cluster.

Unplug cables

Tug like f*ck as they are fixed in with mastic.

Remove all mastic.

Apply new black mastic adhesive generously(£7 in one tube needed from halfords) to recess as in the original.

Push in and hold tightly whilst doing up bolts tight.

Reconnect cables and fix trim.

The mastic smells (vinegar type smell )but only for a couple of days

Paul
Old 26 June 2001, 09:52 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Come on, people - I can't possibly be the only one to have wanted to do this.

How about all those of you with STIs, where's your fog light?

Andy.
Old 26 June 2001, 10:06 AM
Nigel Bowles
Scooby Regular

Hi Andy,
The rear drivers side light on mine has been modified to accept an additional fog lamp in the original holder. Cutting the hole would be interesting but once done the light is as good as any other fog light.
Old 26 June 2001, 10:22 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

AndyC_772

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by AndyC_772:
<B>* Can I just cut a hole in the driver's side light and fit the existing bulb holder?

* Do I need some kind of adapter, or can I just try cutting the hole to the correct shape? [/quote]

Apprently it's quite easy, but you need lot's of patience!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by AndyC_772:
<B>* Are the correct reflectors and dividers fitted to the STI clusters, so that the fog and brake lights appear the same as the UK spec ones?[/quote]

They are not the same, as there is one big reflector for the brake light, and separate ones like the UK/Euro cars.

<B>* If not, is it possible to remove just the clear lens from the STI cluster and transplant it into the original? Or is everything glued together a bit too tightly for that?[/quote]

Not possible, I looked into this. The clear bit seems to be either stuck really well or plastic welded. Taking the whole red/clear lense off isn't an option as the red bit is divided differently (Bigger reflector if I remember correctly)

<B>I'd also appreciate any other advice on removing the old lights and fitting the new ones in a way that won't leak.[/quote]

The mastic is quite sticky, so get a hairdryer on it or park the car with the rear end facing the sun most of the day!

The following instructions are from a US site, but it may be of some use:
Old 26 June 2001, 10:24 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Red face

Forgot to mention, that you could change the drivers side reverse light for a red bulb and wire that up as a fog light.

But that does only leave you with one reverse light, and a red bulb showing through the clear lense!

Just another option

Cheers
Andy
Old 26 June 2001, 11:22 AM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

I had my rear fog as the right-hand reversing light - last two MOTs no problem but this year (last week) they have decided that it is not acceptable (not bright enough) and failed it on that alone.....

I would advise anyone to ask the MOT station before they start if it is going to be a problem....

Thanks

Gavin
Old 26 June 2001, 06:09 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Thanks for your advice everyone, but getting it right sounds a pretty gloomy prospect

What I'm tempted to do, is to actually cut the clear lens out of the STI cluster with a suitable mini power tool, and similarly chop the amber lens out of the existing cluster. I reckon it could be done with a steady hand and a bit of patience.

Maybe I'll get another pair of UK spec clusters as well to practice on - anybody got one that they'd be willing to donate to the cause? Of course, if I get it right then I'll have my existing ones to return afterwards...

Cheers

Andy.
Old 27 June 2001, 04:52 PM
PGMabley
Scooby Regular

Andy Tang

I was thinking about drilling another hole in the reverse light area on the RHS of the car to accommodate a red bulb as the area is big enough for two of the small bulbs.

One problem - can't find a red bulb anywhere!

The problems also with putting the original fog bulb in the same place as before is that in the STI clusters, there is a reflector in that position and that you would not see the brake light come on when the fog light is activated due to the amount of light already being produced from this cluster (possible MOT failure and potentially dangerous)

Does that make any sense, I dunno!

Paul
Old 27 June 2001, 05:04 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Red face

Paul,

Afraid I can't really help! I don't have red/clear lenses!

I think your idea of having a second bulb in the reverse light is a good one. As for where to get a red bulb from, I can't help, but I'm sure one of the import owners running with this configuration should be able to help you.

Or I have seen in the Carnasoir (??) or Demon Tweeks catalogue, bulb paint!

Cheers
Andy
Old 27 June 2001, 05:21 PM
PGMabley
Scooby Regular

Cushdy

Will find the bulb paint in my DT catalogue

Thanks
Paul
Old 28 June 2001, 04:12 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Paul,

I found the stuff you're after in the Carnoisseur catalogue.

<I>Issue 38 (new one) page 144 item 3

Coloured Bulb Laquer - 150 5356
(available in red, blue, green or purple)

£7.95</I>

They have a website, so you can find your nearest branch:
Old 05 August 2001, 06:42 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Update: STI clusters have arrived, I'll be taking a cutting disc to them this week

Does anyone have any idea how the lenses are held on to the back moulding? There are a few obvious spring clips, but forcing/cutting through these doesn't yield <I>any</I> movement at all of the lens! There must be a bead of glue in there somewhere too

Andy.