Notices

SatNav (interfaced to climate contol) -- HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 25 July 2001, 03:59 PM
ColinU
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<I>&lt; also cross posted to the ICE forum &gt;</I>

Does anyone out there know about (or have fitted as a factory option) the climate control fitted to Subaru’s which uses a SatNav unit/screen to display the temp, airflow, etc info? If so please help!!!

I’m buying an Japanese imported Legacy GTB (don’t tell Quentin Wilson!) from a company near Manchester. All is OK except for one “minor” detail. It has the factory fit options of SatNav, and climate control. Normally the climate control info is display on an LED (or LCD?) unit fitted in the center dash. However, on the SatNav equipped option Subaru do some jiggery-pokery (different wiring harness), ditch the LED/LCD display, and route the climate control info output to the SatNav flat panel display. All very nice I hear you say. So what’s my problem?…

Unfortunately the SatNav unit (or maybe just the display) is broken. As this costs a good £2K (£1440 + tax + import duty) from Japan for the genuine Subaru article you can understand that the dealer selling me the car doesn’t want to go that kind of expense. In his shoes I’d take the same view ;-) . He has sent the unit back to Clarion in Japan to see if it can be repaired (but that’s very unlikely). If not we need to come up with Plan-B.

So, now to my question:
<B>Does anyone know if the SatNav used by Subaru is a custom item specifically built for Subaru by Clarion, or if any old Clarion SatNav (or multimedia unit) could display climate control info correctly?</B>

I have a picture of the connector that would be plugged into the back of the SatNav unit if that's of any help (a black, rectangular block, 2 rows, 6 pins on each row, size looks approx 2cm x 1.5cm)

Any help/advice would be most appreciated.

Cheers,
Colin.