Notices

Which lights?

Search this Thread

Old 30 April 2001, 10:06 PM
Joseph
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

As some of you may have read I crashed my V4 Type R the other week and need to replace among other things the front lights.

What are the general feelings between a set of originals and a set of twin replacement jobbies.
How much better are the twins and what different makes are there. Also where is the cheapest place to get a set.
What is the difference between Morrettes with Hella and Morrettes with PIAA.

Please help guys.
Joseph.
Old 01 May 2001, 10:41 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Joseph,

I have had the following set ups:

1) Standard headlights and foglights
2) Standard headlights and SS Driving lamps
3) Morettes and SS driving lamps
4) Morettes and standard foglights

1) The lighting is poor, as we all know. I have tried PIAA bulbs, halford ones, and the best ones I found are the Phillips Vision Plus bulbs. They cost about £18 for the pair.

2) The improvement is amazing. I use to drive a lot downt he Hogsback, and various country lanes at night, and the ScoobySport 130w driving lamps were a God send!! The beam of light is clear, and to those who know the hogsback, it lit both lanes, and about 0.25 to 0.5 miles ahead!! I would also recommend upgrading the main headlight bulbs as well.

3) Inital reaction with Morettes are that they were stunning. Again I used the Vision Plus bulbs, and the dipped headlight is much better, and the main beam with all the lights on are great. Couple this with the ScoobySport kit and you get a great spread of light!! Only problem was that the first night I tried them out, I hit fog, and what lights didn't I have??!!!

4) My final setup! I don't do much country lane or night time driving now, so I sold my SS driving lamps. The Morettes won't light as far, but still better than standard. I have fog lights when the weather turns nasty (as it has been for the last 6 months!!!)

I got my Morettes from Amber Performance, in Bedford/Luton (I have a bad memory for these things!!)

Hope this helps
Andy
Old 01 May 2001, 07:31 PM
JamesS
Scooby Regular

Andy,

When you say the Morettes where `better than standard` - does this mean you actually had decent lights as per every other car I`ve ever driven!!!

I fancied the SS set-up but when there is traffic, even thin, you`ve got to have them off!! Thus leaving you blind again!!

With Morrettes can you actually USE the normal beam?

Cheers.
Old 01 May 2001, 07:44 PM
Joseph
Scooby Regular

Cool

Andy I was using something called PlasmaFX which look the dogs b......... They are also much better than standard and make the car look like they have HID. They cost about 75 squid the pair and are 80/80 and give 135/115. The bulbs have survived the crash but thought that if the Morettes were better particularly on dip(which is were it really matters) I would go for them.
Also have you tried them with these new bulbs?
Joseph