Notices

Help... Brake Lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2001, 09:22 PM
ndouglass
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My brake lights are not working !!! I've also noticed that my horn has stopped also, I've checked all the fuses and they appear to be o.k.

Can anyone help ?????

Do you know where the fuses are for the brake lights & Horn

Ta.

Old 05 February 2001, 08:11 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Do you not have a manual for the car.....??
Old 05 February 2001, 09:25 AM
ndouglass
Scooby Regular

Dave,

I've got a Jap WRX and the writing on the fuse boxes are also in Japanese, I've managed to rectify the problem now thanks.

It was a 20amp fuse in the interior fuse panel, I've got a manual which covers Impreza/Legacy and I was looking at the wiring diagrams and it told me it was a 15amp fuse. That's why I spent ages looking at all the 15amp fuses and testing the circuits when it was a 20 amp fuse that caused the problem which is shared with the Horn/Brake lights. You've gotta bet 18" tall to get into the drivers side foot well and get a good look at the fuses.

Neil
Old 05 February 2001, 09:31 AM
ndouglass
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by ndouglass:
<B>Dave,

I've got a Jap WRX and the writing on the fuse boxes are also in Japanese, I've managed to rectify the problem now thanks.

It was a 20amp fuse in the interior fuse panel, I've got a manual which covers Impreza/Legacy and I was looking at the wiring diagrams and it told me it was a 15amp fuse. That's why I spent ages looking at all the 15amp fuses and testing the circuits when it's a 20 amp fuse that caused the problem which is shared between the Horn/Brake lights. You've gotta be 18" tall to get into the drivers side foot well and get a good look at the fuses.

Neil
[/quote]

Old 05 February 2001, 10:39 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by ndouglass:
<B>Dave,

You've gotta bet 18" tall to get into the drivers side foot well and get a good look at the fuses.

Neil
[/quote]

So when they build them the average Jap stands up in the footwell to fit the fuses then.....LOL

Old 05 February 2001, 11:38 PM
mattski
Scooby Regular

I've had/have? exactly the same problem. I got into a quick beep of the horn to make sure the lights where working! (sad and bad I know, but it was always with no other traffic).

I managed to find the 20 amp fuse and replaced it but it blew about three or four times. It's only since I have stopped my horn test things have been o.k.

I suspect it's the horn as the wiring appears to be alright.

ta,
Matt.
Old 06 February 2001, 08:43 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Sounds like time to replace it with air horns then Mattski. I got some from Halfords and, after a false start, fitted them fine. You'll need a shoe horn though...
Old 06 February 2001, 09:36 AM
ndouglass
Scooby Regular

Maybe Subaru should put in there manual not to brake & beep your horn at the same time, I remember doing that just before mine blew.
Strange that they both share the same circuit which is live all the time and not activated by the ignition.
Old 07 February 2001, 09:27 PM
mattski
Scooby Regular

air horns might be a good idea, maybe something really tasteful like 'dukes of hazard' ones?

I think most jap cars are similar to scoobs, i.e. brake lights live all the time...
Old 08 February 2001, 08:40 PM
Chris p
Scooby Regular

I have had the very same problem!!
I suggest you check the wiring to the horn
( the one in front of the radiator nearest the grille) the loom passes very close to the edge of the bonnet landing panel. It can rub through and pop the fuse!!!
Old 12 May 2006, 01:14 AM
sturu
Scooby Regular

i have this problem as well but i'v also lost the heater blower and the front fogs any more ideas
Old 20 June 2006, 02:41 PM
Pars
Scooby Regular

I have a left rear brake light out... replaced the bulb on Saturday and it was all OK. And now the light is out again