Notices

Hella driving lights

Search this Thread

Old 05 September 2000, 10:48 PM
MarkF
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody out there working on a tight(ish) budget like myself changed the fog lights for Hella drive lights? OK they aren't in the same league as PIAA or Cibies but with the 55watt output they do make a big difference when set up correctly and they ain't gonna burnout the loom. Not bad for £50 with fitting kit included!

[This message has been edited by MarkF (edited 05 September 2000).]
Old 06 September 2000, 01:14 PM
ColinU
Scooby Regular

…or if you’re interested in another cheap 55W option, here’s what I did…

I bought a set of 55W driving lamps from my local auto store for the princely sum of £13. A relay and crimps were about another £5. The lamps are oval (about 6cm wide by 4cm high), a bit plasticy, but have survived for the best part of a year.

Fitting – they do not replace the fog lamps, instead they are mounted behind the grill (i.e. same level as the head lamps). I had to knock together a couple of mounting brackets, but that wasn’t a big job. It’s a MY98 with the honeycomb shaped grill. I don’t think this type of mounting would work with the earlier slat type grills (they would obstruct the lamp’s beam).

Wiring them up – ‘cos the standard headlamps are soooooo poor, I wired them into the dipped beam. The lamps are aimed a little low to make sure I don’t dazzle oncoming drivers. If they were aimed higher ,and wired into full beam, they’d do a more than adequate job too (but nothing compared to big 150W PIAAs or Cibies).

For a total cost of less than £20 (and a little elbow grease) I'm happy with the results.

- ColinU
Old 06 September 2000, 02:16 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Colin

Not sure if its legal to wire "auxillary" lights to dipped beam - just an advisory...
Old 06 September 2000, 03:17 PM
ColinU
Scooby Regular

Puff,

Yes, I'm pretty sure it's a no-no in the eyes of the law too. Did I say what I did was legal .

If/when I get pulled over by PC Plod, my excuse will be "that damned relay has shorted agin", then pop the bonnet and disconnect one wire to disable them. I'd rather chance this type meeting with PC Plod than meeting him at the scene of my car piled into a ditch 'cos I could see the damned road ahead of me .

Longer term I plan to use a switch so that they can come on with either the dipped OR main beam.

- ColinU.

P.S.
Puff - did I read one of your threads asking if there was any info on the new 5door version of the turbo? If so, have you found anything out?
Old 06 September 2000, 03:20 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Colin

Nowt on 5dr - New or P1

Weren't digging on the light thing - others may not know...