Notices

Light upgrades, advice...

Search this Thread

Old 28 August 2000, 07:53 PM
Phil H
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Sorry if this has been done to death already. I'm considering upgrading my MY00 lights for winter and have a couple of questions:

(1) Driving Lamps: There appear to be two main offerings, the Scooby Sport CIBIE (130W) Oscar at £170 + VAT and the Scooby Mania CIBIE Oscar SC at £244 + VAT.

Why the difference in price and details of any experience with either set (bulb blowing problems etc.) welcome.

(2) Headlmap bulb replacement: I want to upgrade but remain 100% legal - I don't want problems with the insurance in the event of an accident! Any suggestions for types of bulbs and sources?

Many thanks...
Old 28 August 2000, 08:40 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

Phil,

I've got the ScoobySport Cibie's and the only problem I've found is that the bulb holders are very fragile. Other than that they do the job but if you want to remain 100% road legal you'll need to fit 55 watt bulbs.

As for headlight bulbs, I'm using Halfords ones at the moment after I blew one of my PIAA and didn't fancy forking out £50 for some more. They seem OK, better than the originals anyway.

DaveW
Old 28 August 2000, 11:01 PM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

why dont you try the Morette twin headlamp replacements.

I've had these on two cars now. The improvement is gained on dipped as well as main beam and you get the aggressive look as well. Every bit as good if not better than the gain from the PIAA's I have also had.
Old 29 August 2000, 08:31 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

You forgot the final (and IMO best) option. PIAAs c£250 including VAT (or £400 fitted by your dealer). No bulb blowing problems, same 'daylight' performance.

FWIK - the 130w PIAAs (and cibies) are perfectly legal as long as they are wired in to only come on with main beam.
Old 29 August 2000, 08:36 AM
Kev
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi all,

I've had the PIAA pencil beam for 9 months now and can't fault them, no bulbs blown as yet. Just fitted the PIAA Super Whites in the H/Lamps and are well worth the extra cash, but they did replace the PIAA Plasma blue bulbs as I blew one starting the engine with them switced on .....

go
Old 29 August 2000, 12:34 PM
schuey
Scooby Regular

Fitted the Scoobysport Cibies, only blown 1 bulb in 10 months, it's like driving in daylight, but have heard stories of other people blowing a bulb every couple of months. Not read any reports on the Scoobymania option.
Fitted PIA superwhites as main headlight bulbs, no problems so far, but at £50 a pair they are expensive.
A lot of people also rate the Osram bulbs.

Dave, are you implying that those of us with 130w driving lamps are illegal?
If so then there are a hell of a lot of us Judas Priest.
Old 29 August 2000, 01:51 PM
rjc
Scooby Regular

I would also like to upgrade my fog lights on my MY00 5dr Impreza Turbo but I don't want 130W driving lights, 55W ones will do. This means I can also use the existing wiring.

According to this site:
Old 29 August 2000, 07:57 PM
PhilH
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice guys.

No response re. the difference between the two CIBIE sets, therefore I assume there is little difference (only the price!). Also, it appears that the PIAA's can be purchased for approx. £250 inc VAT, and that reported reliability is better.

Kev - seen your site, however you state that the bulbs you list are not EU approved, therefore I assume they are illegal in the UK?
Old 29 August 2000, 09:01 PM
Kev
Scooby Regular

Phil ..

Give Beechdale Subaru in Derby ( number escapes me at the moment but it's 01332 ???555 ) a call ask for Dave in service, he runs a PIAA sponsered rally scoob and are agents for lamps and bulbs, since I did the site they have introduced 'E' marked bulbs for the UK, he actually recomended the superwhites ... he has them in his own UK turbo ... so nuff said really.

If you are local he will demo the pencil beam on his in the workshop, they are IMHO better than the driving lens and suit the later model scoob as it matches the clear h/lamps ...

K
Old 29 August 2000, 10:04 PM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Cool

If this can be of any help to you all

I Have information on my web site
For a PIAA anti start wiring modifcation
to stop you starting the car with lights
on and preserving PIAA bulb life
Tried and tested
Old 29 August 2000, 11:23 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

Gary,

Thanks for that mate re: 55/130 watt bulbs. Sorry to anyone confused by my mistake.

DaveW
Old 30 August 2000, 12:20 AM
MarkL
Scooby Regular

I have had Scoobysport Cibies fitted for about 14 months now and I can thoroughly recommend them. As I took my car over to Scoobysport and am an SIDC member, they were even fitted for free.

I was blowing a bulb roughly every 3 or 4 months, but all were replaced by Pete at Scoobysport free of charge as part of his excellent 12 month guarantee on the product. Now he has supplied me with bulbs from the revised batch I haven't (touch wood) had any bulb blowing problems.
Old 30 August 2000, 10:18 AM
Doc
Scooby Regular

Cool

Beechdales number is 01332 372555 Fax 01332 386555.

I have PIAA Superwhite EWC1 bulbs which are e-marked and therefore legal. They give a brighter whiter light and are a definite improvement over standard, although my cibies are still heavily used!

The PIAA's cost £53.99 delivered for the pair. One blew after a month. It was replaced without quibble.
Old 30 August 2000, 08:59 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Just fitted PIAA driving lamp kit from Graham Goode - same as kit available from Soob dealer or Prodrive but cheaper. Also fitted PIAA Super white h/lamp bulbs as mentioned elsewhere.
Lamps excellent BUT BEWARE if you fit them yourself - not easy to fit if you are not handy with the old spanners and very difficult to set up and adjust (they have to be fitted/adjusted from behind so you have to get under the front of the car and remove the dirt shields behind the front bumper).

Have seen SS Cibie lamp kit and easy to fit, but having used various Cibies on many cars over last 20 years (last ones Turini Apollo in long range pencil beam - 228mm dia and incredible light)H2 bulb and spring clip is absolute rubbish particularly when you go over 55w. The bulbs overheat, the bulb holder spring clips arc, overheat and detemper, electrical contact is lost and the bulbs fail. Really do not know why Cibie persist in using them. Local accessory shop used to book his next holiday on the strength of me going in to get a new supply of H2's.

I believe SS do a H4 version which would be the one to go for. Keep away from H2 bulbs.

Old 01 September 2000, 12:31 PM
ChrisG
Scooby Regular

I've had a look through the archives and couldn't find anything conclusive........

Are the PIAA headlamp bulbs worth the extra money over Halfords/Osram bulbs etc?

Also, what is the maximum wattage which can be used in a MY00?

Chris
Old 05 September 2000, 04:09 PM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Just for some balancing information I have had the Scoobysport driving lights fitted to the car for nearly two years now and am still on the original bulbs! (Bugger, bound to blow tonight now!) (and they are very good)