Notices

Fog light to driving light

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2000, 08:40 PM
V697DMO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

We all know the std fogs are pretty crap (btw has anyone tried them in fog ?)

Has anyone (or can anyone) tried changing the lens to a driving lamp/spot lamp lens and changing the bulbs also.

I took the fogs out a couple of days ago to replace the bulbs with xenon's but got the wrong ones, anyway the lens looks like its held on with a couple of clips (maybe not !!)

I have'nt checked but maybe you can buy a replacement lens that has the driving or spot pattern

anyone got anything to say ?
Old 07 March 2000, 09:05 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

Hi,

FYI The fog lights aren't any good in fog. But if you put Cibies in (I've got the Scoobysport ones) the difference is amazing, you can actually see your braking distance from daylight speeds.

Not sure about changing the lenses in the standard fogs but the shape of the lamp is probably wrong to give as good distance as proper driving lights. Suppose it just depends on what type of roads you drive on.

DaveW
Old 08 March 2000, 07:16 AM
Kev
Scooby Regular

Hiya....

I've tried both PIAA conversion and before that a bulb upgrade. Visit my site and follow the PIAA link on the left.. it should tell you what you want to know ...... I hope !!
Old 17 July 2000, 03:31 PM
rjc
Scooby Regular

Can anyone e-mail or fax me details of how to change the fog lights over to driving lights (on when full-beam selected). I want to give this a try first and if this doesn't improve things I'll replace the lamps with proper drving lights (without modifying the wiring again!).

I've just picked up my MY2000 5-dr from Holland and really can't see the point of the fog-lights.
Old 24 July 2000, 12:16 AM
Dan Hack
Scooby Regular

Hi!

I broke the lens of one of the foglights on my last scooby (MY93) and discovered that lens and housing are glued together. I tried about everything to separate the two, without much success and I ended up buying a replacement fog-light. In the "old" days, nobody was talking about upgrades, at least not to my knowledge.

So I'm afraid you must go the upgrade path.

Dan
Old 24 July 2000, 10:45 AM
rjc
Scooby Regular

Checked out the fog lights on my Impreza Turbo and they are rubbish. I want to replace them with driving lights and to use the existing wiring but with a relay switched off the main beam to control the driving lights. This has the advantage that I can switch the driving lights off via the front fog light switch.

What is the best replacement lamp to use that has the same power rating as the existing fog lights? I'm not looking for 120W+ rally driving lights but something to improve night time driving on the road. I think the existing fogs are about 55W each.

Rob.