Notices

Blue bulbs legal?

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 1999, 07:08 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

Found this article on an (unofficial) Traffic Police egroup, thought some of you may find it interesting.

Mike.

......PNLD ( I think it means Police National Legal Database) on which is the following was found. It goes on a little bit but have faith.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 specifies that obligatory or optional front lamps must be white or selective yellow.

Problems have arisen recently when officers have stopped drivers whose vehicles have been
fitted with what are referred to as "blue laser bulbs" or "blue electra bulbs".

lt. may be beneficial to look at the history surrounding these bulbs before any further advice is
,given.

There was an EC.E Regulation No 98 dated 15th April 1996 concerning "gas discharged
lamps" which produce a blue tint. These lamps are manufactured by mainly Phillips and Osram
and are fitted to the more expensive vehicles. On the "Omega Elite" and "Lexus" they are
standard. On BMW, Mercedes, Audi, VW Golf and Passat, they are an optional extra. The
reason being they cost around six to seven hundred pounds.

All "gas discharged lamps" should bear the E mark E1 indicating they are manufactured in
Germany.

Because of cost and also different electrical and design variations "gas discharged lamps"
cannot and could not be fitted to all vehicles. Manufacturers have therefore come up with what
we would term as normal headlamp bulbs which can be fitted to all cars and which mimic the
visual appearance of the gas discharged technology although the bulbs are not as bright.
The question officers are asking is "Are they legal?"

The answer in the vast majority of cases is "Yes"

E.C.E Regulation No 37 was issued on 20th March 1958 and subsequently amended on
numerous occasions. This is the United Nations Agreement concerning the Adoption of Uniform
Conditions of Approval and Reciprocal Recognition of Approval for Motor Vehicle Equipment
and Parts, It provides for uniform provisions concerning the approval of filament lamps for use in
approved lamp units of power driven vehicles and of their trailers. It states bulbs must comply
with the dimensional, photometrical and colour specifications laid down in that publication. The
actual colour given in the Regulation states they MUST be "WHITE OR SELECTIVE YELLOW".
The bulbs we are referring to give off a blue colour (most often when viewed from an angle) so
the question is raised as to how they can be classed as white which they are.

The reason is that bulbs are classed as white if they fall within the colour co-ordinates specified in the Regulations.

It would not be wise to go into technical terms in this document and hopefully it will provide a
much simpler explanation. There are many products on the market fridges, dishwashers,
Freezers, cookers Brides etc which are all described as "white" but when put together some may look off white or cream.

ROAD VEHICLES LIGHT!NG REGULATIONS 1989 8 requirements re obligatory amps

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 15 October 1999, 10:59 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Right then.....I guess that sums that up, whatever it is!

Stef.
Old 15 October 1999, 02:10 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Red face

Sorry Stef. was that a bit too heavy for you?
Okay, I have edited (extracted) the crux of it below just for you.

The question Police Officers are asking is "Are they legal?" ('Plasma Blue' type headlight bulbs).

The answer in the vast majority of cases is "Yes"

Mike.

[This message has been edited by Mike Tuckwood (edited 15-10-1999).]
Old 15 October 1999, 03:14 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

That's good then, is it?

Stef.
PS I suppose you're 'blue' Mike?
Old 15 October 1999, 03:22 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Talking

It depends on what you have fitted I suppose?

Yes I am, at every opportunity (blue).... but my lights aren't.

Mike.