Notices

European driving - UK300

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2004, 02:02 PM
Somerset Yokel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question European driving - UK300

Does anybody know what you need to do to UK300 Headlights to allow driving in France.

I know that on old lights you can put a piece of black plastic on the lights as a deflector, but on UK300 and morrettes I guess??????
Old 16 February 2004, 07:55 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

AFAIR From the beam pattern which is something like \__ \__ you'd have to block out the left hand side vertical bits of the light with the stickers but then you'd be left with an even more hopeless flat light pattern but at least it wouldn't blind the Frenchies

It's not possible to mirror image the beams as they are created by "barriers" moulded inside each lamp which I doubt you could do anyhting with (and you'd have to change 'em back when you get home )

Black sticky bits look to be the only option...
Old 16 February 2004, 09:13 PM
H100VW
Scooby Newbie

I don't know about UK300s but I have some Morette style lights for my Passat and all you do with them is rotate the lamp about 30 degrees. The mounting screws are in slots to get it just right.

Alternative #1 You could experiment against a wall like Apple says and tape up the lights so you get a flat beam.

Alternative #2 Don't bother, cos when did the French ever bother when coming over here?? Their roads are pants at night( no cats eyes) and you'll need all the light you can get.

Gavin
Old 16 February 2004, 11:00 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Thinking about it Gavin, there's some angle adjusters on the UK300 lights but they're obviously set for RHD and the screws painted over for anti-tamper AFAIR.

Don't know whether you'd be able to twist them far enough and depending how offset the base of the slash is from the centre-line, how much of an effect you'd get... i.e. can they be turned far enough from \_ to _/ ?
Old 17 February 2004, 05:21 PM
H100VW
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Apple
Thinking about it Gavin, there's some angle adjusters on the UK300 lights but they're obviously set for RHD and the screws painted over for anti-tamper AFAIR.

Don't know whether you'd be able to twist them far enough and depending how offset the base of the slash is from the centre-line, how much of an effect you'd get... i.e. can they be turned far enough from \_ to _/ ?
I don't think it would take much movement. Only like 15 degrees or summat.
Gavin
Old 26 February 2004, 02:17 PM
Rewolf
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb How about using the headlight adjusters?

My wife has to drive in europe lots, and converting the lights everytime is a real pain however for the last few years everybody in her company that goes over just uses the headlight adjuster (the one on the dash) to push the dipped beams down as far as possible. When you get back, just bring the beams back up again.

Not sure how legal it is, and the dipped light range is very restricted, but it is quick, cheap and easy, and nobody that I know has been pulled over for doing it.