Notices

Light regs and wiring

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2004, 05:50 PM
gridgway
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have just replaced my standard (clear type) P1 headlamps as both were cracked. I bought what I expected to be standard 2nd hand units (from a breaker). In fact what arrived were new units which I suspect were imported (that's not a problem per se!).

The new units are higher wattage 100/80(?). The old bulbs do not fit as the three locating prongs are different.

Does anyone know if

a) these are legal in the UK?
b) the higher wattage will fry the wiring?

I changed as it's first MOT time, so to fail on wrong wattage would be a pain! Mind you, melting the wiring would be an even worse problem.

Tks
Graham
Old 31 January 2004, 09:24 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

100/80 W bulbs are "For off-road use only" in the UK, but that doesn't stop loads of people using them.

Your car is very unlikely to fail on bulb wattage, about all that they check is beam alignment, and most, judging by the number of cars with one light on the road and the other in the air, don't even bother to do that! They probably just turn them on and check that you have two working lights!

Are your new lights "E marked"?

If you are worried about the wiring, use the old wires to trigger a couple of fused relays, and take the supply, via thicker wires, direct from the battery.

Alcazar
Old 31 January 2004, 09:44 PM
gridgway
Scooby Regular

yes, I'll take it to the local dealer for an MOT. The usual place I use is so scrupulous that they once failed an MOT for a 12w sidelight rather than a 5w! They did change it and pass it though!!

Hmmm, still a bit naff buying headlights that are not legal. I def do not want to get into modding the wiring. Does anyone know about the locating prongs on the bulbs? They are different widths so only specific bulbs fit into the fitting.

I guess they draw 8 and a bit amps on main beam. How thick does the wire need to be for that? It looked pretty puny (technical assessment!).

Graham
Old 01 February 2004, 12:26 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

Well, personally, I wouldn't do it..........but I'm not a fan of uprated bulbs!

Modding the wiring is EASY, would cost about £20 all up, would be easily removable, and would solve that prob in about 30 minutes.

Alcazar
Old 01 February 2004, 02:30 PM
gridgway
Scooby Regular

me too! As I didn't set out to upgrade the lights just get units that were no cracked! I will need to see if I can get proper wattage bulbs to fit the light units or if not have a discussion with the supplier to see what can be done.

Graham