Notices

Using OEM foglight swith w/ Hella driving lights?

Search this Thread

Old 12 December 2003, 07:55 PM
bleuquila
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

I've got my Hella FF1000s in place where the stock foglights used to be, they are wired so that the high beams need to be on, and the Hella switch in the cabin on. That's exactly how I want it, I just wish to use the OEM foglight button instead of the Hella one, but maintain the feature that they are switchable off with the high/low selector stalk.
I'm not positive about how to wire this, though, so I was wondering if someone could look over my wiring diagrams I drew up and let me know if my idea will work?
the way it is wired currently is visable here:
http://www.irregardless.us/Projects/Lights/index5.php

and there are links to diagrams of the different ideas for how to do this that I've had. Any feedback would be appreciated!
Old 12 December 2003, 09:28 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Didnn't really get the jist of the diagram, basically you need to put in two relays, one that switches a supply TO the hellas when the fog light switch is on, and another in the circuit so that they're only on when high beam is selected, not rocket science, but I can't draw a diagram for you, sorry!
Old 12 December 2003, 09:55 PM
bleuquila
Scooby Newbie

Ahh.. interesting. Maybe something like this?
Old 14 December 2003, 03:47 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Still don't quite get your diagram, maybe I'm reading it all wrong.
But, if you take a positive feed from the battery, to a relay, take a wire from a fod light wire under the bumper, trhen use that as a switch wire at the first relay, that'll give you a live out, only when the fog light switch is on, then, put another relay in that live feed, take a wire from the MAIN beam, then use that to switch the second relay, that would give you a live feed only when the foglight's are on AND the high beam is selected.
Obviously you need to fuse it al, and earth it, but that should work shouldn't it, I'm sure that's how my Cibies are done!

Ron.
Old 15 December 2003, 02:02 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

Looking at the diagram, didn't the wire from the rear of the headlight, the one that triggers the relay on the left, ought to come from HIGH BEAM, not low?

Apart from that, it'll work.

Alcazar
Old 15 December 2003, 02:22 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Alcazar

It will need to swich on +12V which only happens when that wire is NOT earthed, ie when dip is off but the lights are on.

The way we do it is to use the original fog lamp wiring, switch etc and change the trigger feed to the internal fog lamp switch from sidelights to main beam. This can be found as a +12v in the harness under the steering column. Sorry, can't remember the colours etc but it's not difficult to find with a meter and some thought.

Mike
Old 15 December 2003, 03:35 PM
bleuquila
Scooby Newbie

yes, that's quite right, as the headlights are a switched-earth setup. I think I am going to do it as mike says after giving the whole thing much thought over the weekend. Currently the signal for the switch comes from the high-beam relay, so I just need to find where that wire is tapped in, and switch it to the low-beam output instead. It seems as through the DRL module in the glovebox area is a likely candidate. As soon as the weather here shapes up I'll give it a try

[Edited by bleuquila - 12/15/2003 3:36:16 PM]