Notices

PIAA drigving lamps wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 01 December 2003, 08:25 AM
CJRH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Has anyone got the wiring diagram for the PIAA driving lamps? I need the diagram for the full kit which plugs into the existing car loom.

Cheers

Chris
Old 01 December 2003, 09:54 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

Haven't got PIAA's but does this help???)
Connections at relay:
Terminal 30: FROM battery, or via inline fuse if relay doesn't have one. Thicker cable.

Terminal 85: FROM headlight mainbeam wire, behind headlight connector, usually via Scotchlok.

Terminal 86: to a suitable earthing point, or battery -ve.

Terminal 87: to both PIAA's.

Earth both lamps back to battery -ve for a trouble free system.

Alcazar
Old 01 December 2003, 10:12 AM
CJRH
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers Alcazar, it will help if I decide to completely re-wire them. Long story but basically the person who wired them in for me has done it so that they are turned off and on from fog light switch in other words put normal full beam on and them you have to turn them on as well on the fog light switch???? It is the proper kit so I really need the full wiring diagram to see what's been done wrong or I might just scrap that wiring and start again.

Chris
Old 01 December 2003, 12:27 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

OK, I know how to do that with two relays, but I'm not sure on the PIAA kit. Sorry:
Alcazar
Old 01 December 2003, 12:31 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chris,

I have the PIAA's fitted on my RB5 and when you put the Full Beam on, you still need to switch them on with a seperate switch (next to Fog switch).

Are you saying they are wired to your existing Fog switch?

Stefan
Old 01 December 2003, 01:52 PM
CJRH
Scooby Regular

Question

Stefan, from what you are saying perhaps mine are wired up correctly for the kit but not how I expected. The fog light switch is now the on off switch for the full beam driving lamps. I expected the the lights to be activated by the main light stalk so that when you put full beam on the new driving lamps also come on and I expected the fog light switch to become a master on off if you wanted to use full beam without the extra driving lamps. It doesn't make much sense to me to have to put the normal full beam on and then have to turn on the driving lamps as well!?

Chris
Old 01 December 2003, 02:40 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Question

It doesn't make much sense to me to have to put the normal full beam on and then have to turn on the driving lamps as well!?
If you LEAVE them switched on at the "foglight" switch, do they go off when you de-select main beam? And come on again, when you select main beam again?

If so, no problem, that's what mine do.
If not, you have a problem.
In which case, it SOUNDS as if someone tried to do the job using only one relay.

Alcazar

Trending Topics

Old 01 December 2003, 03:07 PM
CJRH
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

If you LEAVE them switched on at the "foglight" switch, do they go off when you de-select main beam? And come on again, when you select main beam again? *NO*

Sounds like its only been done with one relay, but why would 2 be needed?

Chris
Old 01 December 2003, 06:43 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Question

Basically, it allows you to use the foglight switch to have control of whether the driving lights come on, or not, when you select main beam, without having to run wires into, and out of the cockpit, and connect behind the foglight switch.

It uses the feed from the foglight switch to the OE foglight to trigger a relay which interrupts the trigger from the headlight mainbeam to the main relay.
If that makes sense?

If you need deatiled instructions, I can mail 'em to you?

Alcazar
Old 01 December 2003, 06:55 PM
big500
Scooby Regular

I fitted a set to owl28's car but we didnt use the PIAA relay as it had a seperate switch in the car so they were fitted as Alcazar has described with a 30A relay protected by a 20A fuse.
The bulbs were 120W each and each lamp was wired with 15A double insulated automotive cable.
If you need the PIAA wiring diagram I am sure Owl28 will have it , but I dont think it will be very helpful IMHO. I think it only covered a STANDARD install.

Steve
Old 02 December 2003, 07:38 AM
CJRH
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Alcazar, Steve I was looking at the wiring last night and deciding if it would just be easier to rip it all out and start again as it is a very easy job to wire them in as you say. However it seems a shame to ditch the PIAA wiring and relay which this kit came with. Any help in getting the PIAA wiring diagram would be a great help.

Cheers

Chris
Old 03 December 2003, 10:44 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

from chiarke[/url]
Old 04 December 2003, 08:24 AM
CJRH
Scooby Regular

Question

All, got the wiring diagrams now and not suprised that the lights have been installed the way they have because as per the diagrams that is how they should be installed there's no wiring to connect them up to full beem??????

Can someone confirm this for me if I mail them the diagrams??

Cheers

Chris
Old 04 December 2003, 06:14 PM
big500
Scooby Regular

The Original wiring switches the lights on using the little PIAA switch which has a red led on it. ( rather impractical due to not being linked to main beam as you have found out)
I would definately install them with a 30A relay triggered by the main beam .
If you are replacing the fog lights then as mentioned earlier you can use the fog light switch ( take the 12 switched live from the lamp connector which is now redundant ) and use this feed to switch the main beam feed to the spotlight relay. If you do it this way with 2 relays you will be able to inhibit the driving lamps so with the OE fog switch OFF you will get main beam only.
Swich the fog light switch on and the PIAA's will illuminate with main beam.

Steve
Old 05 December 2003, 07:54 AM
CJRH
Scooby Regular

Wink

Cheers for all of the help everyone, all sorted now, changed the wiring on the PIAA loom as the switch was been fed from low beam, changed this so that it is fed off high beam now and all works as should do.

Chris