Notices

Light Adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2003, 11:34 AM
CyberScoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi, I had my lights checked this weekend because they looked to be a bit high; nearly every other car on the way home was flashing me from work on Fri.
The chap in the garage tried to adjust them but said that he could not get them to come down and suggested that the adjusters were at fault???

Anyone had any experience with this or know how much this will cost to get corrected.

Many thanks

CyberScoob
Old 03 November 2003, 08:10 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It would help somewhat if we knew what model year of car you're talking about, as it goes without saying that there are slight differences in the light adjustment mechanisms, especially when you get into all the non-standard lights on the new age cars.

If you're talking about a classic shape car with standard lights, if the adjusters are pulled too low at any point, the balljoint on the end of the adjuster rod can be pulled out of the socket in the lens, thus rendering the entire mechanism next to useless.

If the socket insert is still in the recess on the back of the lens, the fix is usually just a case of popping the ball back into place. If the insert has dropped out however, the only practical fix is to remove the lens from the lamp unit (messy but perfectly doable) and put it all back into place.