Notices

Headlight levelling wiring diagram 02 WRX & STI

Search this Thread

Old 05 September 2003, 02:10 PM
Nick Martin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone have the wiring diagram for the levelling switch on an 02 WRX ie - for the interface between the loom and the light unit, ie what purpose each of the 3 wires has, and then for the 02 STI projector light unit, likewise for the 6 that are present on this unit? please

Nick
Old 06 September 2003, 10:51 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Smile

Nick, this is a quick answer but here's some info:

WRX 3-pin connection consists of +12V, ground (0V) and signal which is four voltages controlled by resistances in the switch. The signal voltages are used by the levelling motor to send it to one of four positions (0 to 3) on dash switch.

STi 6-pin connection consists of 0V and 12V as before but has four signal wires. Each signal wire is 12V output which means the levelling switch is effectively a rotary switch, sending 12V down whichever position you tell it on the dash. The motor just uses whichever lead is "live" to tell it where to go...

Have a search for posts by JAH as he came up with a circuit to convert 3-pin input to 6-pin output (i.e. putting STi lights on a WRX). Also, have a search on the NASIOC.com and scoobymods.com sites as there's info on there.

I think JAH created the circuit as you couldn't get hold of the STi levelling switch at the time and needed to do it electronically...

I've got a switch on back order at my dealers so holefully it's just a straight pin to pin wiring job... (famous last words etc )

if this seems a tad garbled, I've been installing a set of JDM STi lights today and have now hit the "refreshments"

Apple
Old 08 September 2003, 09:41 AM
Nick Martin
Scooby Regular

cheers,
i think ive got that - if you are installing an STI Levelling switch in the dash i presume that you are running additional wiring to the light units then as otherwise you'll still have the 3 wire problem -true or am i electrically not switched on?! i am no electrician so the latter is more than likely!
How did your light units go in? Did you chop your loom cos i ended up "manufacturing" some H4 adaptor connectors so that i didnt have to chop the loom - issues with warranty being company car.
did you have to do much manual alignment cos mine were pretty much ok straight out of the box.
Old 08 September 2003, 06:45 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Nick,

The lights physically fitted easily and they are a lot better fit than the WRSport lights (somebody's got their head around the design / packaging of the jdm lights )

Yes, I'm running in some extra 6-way cable just for the levelling switch as I don't want to chop my loom. I'd heard that the connectors were completely different on the STi lights so put my own connectors on for the levelling and sidelight/indicators - then found that the latter 3-way plug is the same so changed back to original and used the loom plug as normal... The levelling plug on the loom may be the same if you can get hold of an STi one but I couldn't source one (scrappers don't want to sell you anything less than a full loom unless it's damaged and STi7/8s are like rocking horse doodah in scrapyards anyway . I got nowhere trying to order one from my local dealers either)

I'd a bit of extra wiring to do as my lights are HID and use different bulbs to the WRsports (D2S & 9005 as opposed to 2 x H7). I had HID in already so just needed some different connections to trigger the ballasts which was easy enough to do.

The alignment wasn't too far out as they'd come off another car at some point and the adjustment method is so much easier I don't know how the UK STi lights adjust but mine you can do with a philips screwdriver / socket set from above

From the amount I could see with my WRSport lights, the amount I can see now is awesome - you don't needs beams now.

Apple