Notices

Hands Free Kit Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 01 September 2003, 04:24 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone know if the MY03 WRX has wiring for a hands free kit (power, radio mute etc.)? If so, any idea where the connector is hidden, pin connections etc.? Also, is there a custom fit bracket for the phone cradle (Nokia, in this case, but I think the 4 hole fixing is 'standard')?
Old 01 September 2003, 09:03 PM
Up_North
Scooby Regular

You'll need a Dashmount bracket. It slots in the left hand side of the radio surround and 'piggy backs' onto the screws holding the radio onto it's chassis. You will lose use of your cupholder.

With regards to wiring, I THINK the genuine Nokia Hands Free kit (model 91) fits into the radio connector to route the audio through the car speakers. It has a mute lead which connects to the mute wire on the OEM head unit (tied up on the back of it). You can then get a tax disc holder aerial or a little stick thing that attaches to the windscreen.

As an alternative look at the Parrot Ck300 bluetooth kit (if youre phone is blue tooth) - much easier to wire - only problem is it won't charge the phone. But it means you're not stuck to Nokia phones.

Best place for mike seems to be just in front of rear view mirror. Trim just pulls to bits - doddle to wire.

Ian
Old 02 September 2003, 01:31 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

Ian,

Don't care about the cup holder, beer cans don't fit anyway ;-) I don't suppose you know where I can buy one of these brackets?

WRT the wiring, are you saying there is a specific connector for the HFK behind the radio, or will I have to spice into the radio wiring harness?

Cheers, Derek.
Old 02 September 2003, 04:18 PM
Up_North
Scooby Regular

The CARK-91, technically comes with everything you need, including a holder and speaker.

This does not allow audio mute nor does it route the audio through the speakers and IIRC you will need to do some splicing.

If you want audio mute and routed through the hi-fi speakers you will need to buy a Telemute lead specifically for your car and I THINK this plugs into the hi-fi wiring harness.

You can get a mounting bracket, which means you won't need to drill, from www.dashmount.co.uk (also has a picture). ALthough dashmount sell Telemute leads they only appear to sell to installers - you could try www.solware.co.uk for one of those.

Our company pays Vodafone to install them but looking at the mess they made of mine I'm sure I could have done a better job myself.

Ian
Old 03 September 2003, 06:10 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

Ian,

Thanks for the info. Already have the car kit (think its a CARK-91 - it came out of my old car), which i seem tho recall does have a mute output (yellow wire, I think), but needs a radio that has a corresponding mute input.

Cheers, Derek.
Old 04 September 2003, 03:55 PM
Mortywrx
Scooby Regular

the mute wire is the blue wire(but on vauxhalls the mute wire is in the top of the passenger footwell and is yellow)not sure about scooby's...and will goto the back of the stereo I think only the likes of kenwood have the mute wire on the back though...?

Vodafone dont do there own fitting's they sub contract out to a company but not sure who they are so it will be them who are to blame(although Vodafone are the ones you entrusted to do this)

As for wiring red - black as per red +pos and black -neg dont necassarily(spelling) have to use any other wires...but as I said blue for the mute and the yellow and green are for the speakers if you want to go through the car audio...

Darren