Fitting Morrettes to STi V7... HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 18 August 2003, 08:53 PM
WRX-STi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Hello All!

I recently bought a set of Morrettes to fit to my '02 STi.
Problem is, they don't match up electrically. I took them to Town & County to fit, as they said they would cut and solder the wires. After having the car all day, they said they couldn't do it because of a 3 pin / 4 pin match problem???

Has anyone done it - is there a wiring diagram for this job?

Help! If you can't, I have a brand new pair of morrettes, newly painted Premium Silver - NEVER FITTED - for sale! :-(

Old 19 August 2003, 09:05 AM
Daz WRX
Scooby Regular

I'm sure someone had done this, there was a thread to change to STI7 lights so it can be dont the other way. Try a search for 'STI7 Morettes'.

No need to sell em just yet.
Daz.
Old 04 September 2003, 08:32 AM
BlueBlackScooby
Scooby Regular

Does that mean you have a set of 02 STi headlamps for sale? If so I might be interested.
Old 04 September 2003, 12:22 PM
Baby Blue
Scooby Regular

Quite a few BugEye owners looked at installing STi headlights (myself included) but found that the wiring loom needs to be replaced. There have been quite a few threads on this over the past couple of years, usually asking the oposite

Use search and I'm confident that you will find what you need

BB
Old 04 September 2003, 03:27 PM
Nick Martin
Scooby Regular

This might be of help...I have changed the std bugeyes on the WRX for the STI Projector Light units. There is a fundamental difference in the wiring set up between the STI and the Bugeye versions of the WRX.
The bug eye light unit uses a conventional H4 type bulb that does both the high and low beam and as such the car loom has cabling and the connector for this type of electrical set up. ie the end of the loom terminates in an H4 connector. When you try and fit the STI light, you find that the high and low operation of the light unit is served by two seperate bulbs and these have their own seperate connection to the wiring loom.
When you fit these lights to the std WRX you have to wire it up so that it runs a common +ve and a switching ground.
In your case the loom of the car is already set up to run a seperate high and a seperate low beam bulb.
But you now have the problem that the morette light is wired up to solve this problem when connecting to a std WRX.

Therefore, and this is MY thoughts only as i have not seen the Morette light, what you may have to do is.....

N.B. You cannot buy new (anywhere) the connectors that mate to either the factory Subary loom or light unit, so it might be that you have to chop off the connectors either or both the Morette light and the loom - but test first otherwise it will be £700 for a new STI loom!!!

At this point you may need to take the back of the Morette light
There will probably be a wiring harness that at one end has an H4 connector (3 pin) which is intended to connect to the std WRX loom. From two of the pins there will be a single wire each to a seperate bulb and from the third 2 wires coming off it, one to each bulb.
The high beam bulb is probably an 9005/HB3 item and the connector on the STI loom (that serves the STI high beam) should fit straight onto this.
The low beam bulb is probably an H1 and just has terminations for your regular spade connectors. Disconnect the light harness and put aside.
Test the light by running two wires from the STI Loom Low beam connector to these spade terminals. if the the light works properly then chop the connector on the STI loom (low beam) off and re terminate with spade connectors. Connect these up and away you should go.
I dont know what type of connectors are on the Morette unit for the indicators/side light ie if they are compatible or not, but Tyco Electronics make Econoseal Automotive connectors that are similar style (but not mateable to the Subaru items) so you would need male and female.

Why do you want to do this anyway?, the STI lights are by far the best looking items for the Bug Eye shape!

Anyway hope it helps

Nick
Old 04 September 2003, 04:24 PM
Baby Blue
Scooby Regular

Morrettes & UK300/WR Sport lights were disigned to fit straight onto WRX's, I think, so connectors etc should be exactly the same as std bug eye ones.
Old 14 September 2003, 10:47 PM
WRX-STi
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cheers Nick,

Thanks very much for such a full answer!
I'll have a look at them again, although I'm beginning to think that the standards are better after reading posts about morrettes! (Plus they're actually growing on me after a few months!)

Trending Topics

Old 18 November 2003, 10:54 PM
Tim Taylor
Scooby Regular

Question

Did you ever get the morrettes onto your STi 7?
Old 18 November 2003, 11:20 PM
H18JGM
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

No! I got pi**ed of and sold them on Ebay!

(I am the same person as WRX-STi, long story!)
Old 18 November 2003, 11:22 PM
Tim Taylor
Scooby Regular

Talking

LOL fair enough

Cheers for the reply

Tim