Notices

Damaged headlight

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2003, 12:53 PM
Barnaby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Some kind soul decided to take a kick at the headlight of my STi in the early hours.

The headlight itself is only slightly scuffed but they managed to break the plastic support that holds the light in place. It actually still sits nicely in place, but you can give it a push and it will move around under even slight pressure. So from the outside nothing actually looks like it is wrong.

Took it to the local Subaru dealer and they seemed to thing that the only thing to do was to replace the whole headlight unit at a cost of £268+VAT+fitting! This seems a lot of money for what is a very minor bit of damage.

Any thoughts on this? If I am going to be spending that much I'm thinking I may as well fit some uprated headlight units, although I haven't been able to find any for the STi7 (just for the WRX).

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
Old 16 June 2003, 02:27 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

OK, had much the same prob on a Xantia after a slight altercation with a pheasant last year:
Got quote for new headlight, well over £140 +vat[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Removed headlight, retrieved all the bits, took it into kitchen, and glued it back together with Superglue, then some Araldite Rapid 2 part stuff, and finally a piece of brass strip from the local model shop (£0.90), glued and self tapping screwed into place.
Put it back, it's still there, still works, can't see the repair from anywhere without removing light, and total cost was £5:

Interestingly, when I removed the headlight, the pheasant's leg and thigh were stuck to the radiator.......done to a turn:
Alcazar
Old 16 June 2003, 06:47 PM
Barnaby
Scooby Regular

Right then, I will give a repair a shot.

I don't expect to find any pheasant in there though!
Old 16 June 2003, 09:54 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

Pity, mine was really tasty..............and had been hung well, as it was a fortnight b4 I got round to repairing it
Alcazar:
Old 19 June 2003, 02:31 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Lol! Got to second Alcazar's suggestion. Araldite plus a strip of metal to reinforce has worked for me in the past.

Make sure the surfaces to be bonded are clean, grease free, and roughed up a bit to give the epoxy a bit of a key, and it should be as good as new!