Notices

Front spots

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2003, 10:49 AM
madmacslemon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do go about wiring up the front spots.....i have fitted them, just need to know about wiring......can i take a feed from the main beam side of h/lamps, so they illumnate when full beam is switched, or do i need to switch them seperatly...?

Cheers!
Old 06 January 2003, 01:08 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

On the MY01 on you can't take a single wire from the main beam as it works backwards. 12V one side of the bulb all the time any lights are on, 12V the other side when main beam is off, earth when it's on..... Weird or what?

You can take a connection from both sides of main beam of course. I think you'll want a relay though as, according to previous posts, the wiring appears marginal even for uprated bulbs. So doubling the current draw by adding spots dirctly would seem a bit beyond the capability.

If you want the spots on whenever main beam is on you don't need a switch. If you sometimes want main beam only, sometimes main beam plus spots then you need a switch. No legal implications one way or the other.
Old 06 January 2003, 03:01 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

Is this for a new age car, or a classic?
Either way, I'd strongly suggest a relay, and a seperate fuse for the spots, with a seperate feed direct from battery to fuse to lights, via relay.
You CAN wire them so that they can be switched from inside the car AS WELL as coming on with main beams, (ie: so you have a choice of wether to use 'em or not, but they ALWAYS go out when you dip the mains),using the existing foglight wiring. Or at least, you can on the classic cars!
If you want to do this, I can give instructions. It just needs another relay, and a bit more wiring.
I've done it with mine as I have HID's and didn't want to be flashing them as well as my mains when in town.
Alcazar
Old 07 January 2003, 12:23 PM
madmacslemon
Scooby Regular

Thanx guys..........sorry its a classic MY97 type R.

That sounds ideal.