Notices

Comparision WRX and STi7 lights

Search this Thread

Old 27 December 2002, 05:20 PM
jah
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I finally got the STi headlights installed on my WRX. The difference in looks is of course widely known but I was surprised how much better the light output is.

Here are pictures with standard WRX bugeyes and STi bugeyes. Taken in the same garage with the same ambient light against the same concrete wall from about 10m distance. Bulbs were Philips Long-Life (OEM install) in both, H4 in WRX and H1 in STi lights so they should be comparable.

WRX bugeyes:

STi bugeyes:

Didn't take any photos of WRX bugs on high beam so no comparision of that one but the STi ones surely seem to light the road better.
And I haven't even tried any high-performance bulbs yet.
Old 27 December 2002, 05:35 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

Hardly surprising. the H4 bulb is a bit of a hybrid, when all said and done, so sharper cutoffs, better light spread are bound to come from the H1.
Without a doubt, HID's excluded, the best headlights I ever had were a pair of 7" round Cibie "Biodes", where the dip beam used an H1, and the 7" size reflector, and when main beam was selected, the dips stayed on, but a second H1 lit using a smaller, about 2.5" reflector, set into the larger one.
Light output was well controlled and very bright. EVERY self-respecting rally car had them at one time, but even 35 years ago, they were about £40 a pair!!!
Alcazar
Old 27 December 2002, 06:34 PM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

STi has a projector lens for dipped beam, a big help too.
Old 27 December 2002, 07:16 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

The cut-off on the top of the dip beam is amazing too is it not, so sharp, full light output until the top then it just cuts-off dead, well impressive.

If you can afford it then HID conversions from Autolamps, the group buy people, turns them from well impressive to absolutely incredible. I've done dip and main beam and they are both awesome. Only problem is fitting in 4 of the ballast boxes, but well worth it.
Old 28 December 2002, 04:01 PM
jah
Scooby Regular

Chelspeed,

How do the HID main beam handle flashing ? I read somewhere that it's very bad for HIDs to just light them up for a very short time.
Old 28 December 2002, 08:07 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

I was concerned with the main beam taking time to come up to full brightness each time you go from dip to main. I had a good chat with the guy from Autolamps, Nick I think, and he assured me it would be OK and it is. He didn't mention any problems with flashing and I've had no problems so far.

When you're parked and put it on to main you can see it flicker a couple of times and come up to full brightness over perhaps a second or two but when you're driving you don't even notice this. I've followed a mate a couple of times in daylight and gave a very quick flash when he waved, his comment was f*ck me your lights are bright!! So they must flash OK.
Old 28 December 2002, 09:21 PM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

Auto-Lamps Hid's are a class apart from other brands, they still amaze me even after 2 months of having them.