Prodrive/Subaru Driving Lights kit

Search this Thread

Old 19 November 2002, 05:58 PM
ids
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Right,

As a result of various threads, chats and searches I ended up buying one of the official Subaru Halogen Driving Lamp kits from my local dealer. (Part number SACC2542 - £105 + VAT)

Very supprised when the box came and it is a pukka Prodrive WR Sport kit with Hella FF1000's, 100W bulbs, Brackets, Cables etc and Instructions.

Now I'm a competent-ish sparky type and started working thru the instuctions. The main idea of the kit is to use the existing fog lamp loom (as I had it fitted on my STi UK from new), but modify it to switch off the main beam.

I have located the switch (grey connector) and relay 4 under the dash, but the instructions talk about a 32way connector to take some feeds from.... hunting around under the dash, there is definatly nothing resembleing this in easy reach of the supplied lengths of cable.

Question....

1) Does anyone know if the kit is supposed to be for WRX/STI shape cars ?
2) Has anyone successfully fitted following the instructions ?
3) Can anyone tell me where the connector is ?

As you can guess the lack of documentation on these cars is unreal so I got all of my hope in you guys. And my dealer did't even know about the kit so theres no chance there......

Failing that I'm back the the old way and a load of relays

Help ! (virtual beers waiting....)

Ids
Old 19 November 2002, 07:59 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Kev
You need to talk to Chelspeed (Graham Ford) who has sussed this...
Old 19 November 2002, 08:02 PM
Trumble
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Sorry I dont know about the lights - but I can echo the instructions for OEM stuff - my Morettes came with a single page of A4 and didnt really say how to fit them. So I guess thats par for the course.

I'm certainly interested in how you manage to fit them - they certainly seem good value at 100 quid - eagerly waiting the results.

Good LUck

T.

Old 19 November 2002, 10:57 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
ids,
this link may give you a clue ..
www.g.p.foster.btinternet.co.uk/piaafit/piaa.html

alan
Old 20 November 2002, 07:31 PM
ids
Scooby Regular

Red face

Right....finally fitted and working....

OK. Managed to locate the 32 way connector that the very poor instuctions talk about. Its just above the drivers left knee area under the dash (and its a white 33 way connector) .. So the supplied lenghts of cable will never reach. Lucky I have some spare.

Other issues with the kit.... well there is no bolts to fit the bloody lamps to the brakets. They are only M8's and some big washers, but you pay for a kit.... I have queried it with my (not so good) dealer and they have checked another kit. Exactly the same and apparently they got Subaru Parts in West Brom to check theres, so theres some bad QA going on a Prodrive obviosly.

Also there is no washers for the rear of the lights. They talk about some 'pink rubbers' that are again not in the kit. Same issue as above.

Overall the qualitity of the lamp kit is good, if it were complete. All I can suggest is check it over if you get one. The instuctions have been written by a monkey IMHO. I have a bit of a clue, and they still dont make very good sense.

I still think I would have been better going down the old external relay and power (via fuse) off the battery but wanted to do it the proper way.... who knows I may still alter it back...

The lamps look good on the car and I'm going to check how it affects the light at night, which is the main objective of course.

Wondering how to complain as really I am not as satisfied as a I should be. Subaru UK or Prodrive direct ?

Ids
Old 20 November 2002, 07:59 PM
Trumble
Scooby Regular

Well done - it certainly sounds like a complaint is in order - lets face it a kit isnt a kit without all the bits.

How about a road test now its dark ?

I just checked the MY02 accessory book and the part number is certainly correct - and is described as Halogen Driving Lamp Kit.

Who did you order it from ? And can I get one for the weekend !

T.
Old 21 November 2002, 03:56 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Kev

By the way, your dealer has goofed at that price The Subaru pricing on offers is a bit misleading, and £105 + vat is the special offer price TO YOUR DEALER, not retail, and they have made absolutely zippo profit on them
Old 22 November 2002, 05:23 PM
ids
Scooby Regular

Dave

That makes me feel a little better - that sums them up...

All I need now is a couple of sealing rubbers (made some at present) to complete the seals... Hella UK spares methinks

Ill try and post some piccys of the differnce guys... unfortunalty I could not stretch to the HID version like Dave - My other half wouldn't forgive me for paying 700 sheets on some lamps

They do look the part I must say.... and today I have had my PPP centre and tail exhaust sections fitted (no PPP, just come by these bits..) - so it sounds better too !!! Almost a perfect car ....... :>

Ids

[Edited by ids - 11/22/2002 5:23:38 PM]

[Edited by ids - 11/22/2002 5:24:06 PM]
Old 22 November 2002, 10:56 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
I'll be very interested in your experiences in setting up these lights, and even more interested in them if you have to change a bulb!!
IMHO it's one of the poorest designed kits on the market, notwithstanding the price!!
Alcazar
Old 22 November 2002, 11:35 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Wink

Alcazar
We know you don't like them - but I won't have to change a bulb in the gas discharge ones (and YES I do have clear covers on now )
Old 23 November 2002, 10:01 AM
ids
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Did actually try them in the dark last night, but had only set them up on my drive so one needs more adjustment. Ill try again tonight unless I forget to stop drinking the wine :>

Bulbs - why is there a problem ?

The kits not too bad (except that mines incomplete) but my other observations are:

1) The brackets are very sturdy and fit well.
2) You have to remove the lamps from the car to adjust them.... not very good design.
3) From initial setup, it appears you cant angle the lamps up that high.... maximum I have found is about level with main beam dispersion..... we shall see (Need to go out with a spanner and screwdriver)

If you can get them at that price then go for it, but I'd be intrested in the quality of the TSL, ScoobySport etc kits as well. Perhaps you get what you pay for, but I expected the official Subaru kit to be good...perhaps a little blindly.

Dave - what covers did you get then ?

Ids
Old 23 November 2002, 11:10 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I actually have the HID version of this kit, from Scoobysport, and the fitting is entirely different. I absolutely love mine!
As regards bulbs, my complaint was that you have to remove the lamp from it's bracket to change the bulb, and this will, effectively, lose your height/side to side settings. I suppose you could always mark up with paint/tippex etc b4 you demount the lamp from the bracket.......?
Clear covers for Hella 1000FF are available from Scoobysport, and are, IMHO, well worth the money. You can't really see 'em when they're in place.
Alcazar
Old 23 November 2002, 05:36 PM
ids
Scooby Regular

Right I see

However to remove the bulbs, all you need to do is open the two alen keys bolts on the sides and the lens comes out (I extended the feed wires from default).... therefore you dont have to remove them from the bracket.

You do to adjust them on the brackets though.... Ill look out for the covers

Ids
Old 23 November 2002, 06:51 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Question

Funny........I could swear that on the ones I saw, the bolt for fixing lamp to bracket went THROUGH the back cover, and was threaded into the reflector, making it imperative to get the lamp off the bracket to get at the bulb?
Alcazar
Old 23 November 2002, 09:05 PM
ids
Scooby Regular

Yeh.... now you come to say it they do.. what a muppet....

The fixing bolt comes thru the rear case and bolts in the relector. Damn... hope they dont go that often

Ids
Old 23 November 2002, 09:49 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Once you've got them set up, paint a couple of white lines across from the bracket to the rears. If you do ever have to take 'em off, then just realign the white lines for perfect alignment.
Alcazar
BTW: bl**dy good light output, aren't they?
Old 06 December 2002, 12:52 PM
Trumble
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Just to follow up on this - I thought I'd try to get hold of this kit at 105+vat and managed too - most pleased - they are now 150+vat.

My kit came with all the bits that were missing from ids kit - so I suspect PD have fixed their QC issues (unless I just got lucky).

The only thing they dont supply are connectors when doing the relay / 32-way connector wiring.

The quality of the lamp units look good - although I've never had driving lights b4.

T.
Old 06 December 2002, 03:35 PM
ids
Scooby Regular

Trumble,

Yeh - now the fun starts. See if you can make head/tail of the wiring intructions .... Gimme a shout if you get stuck.

I assume there was more than 3 peices of cable in the kit too ?

Ids
Old 06 December 2002, 04:18 PM
Trumble
Scooby Regular

Cool

I've got the next week off anyway and plenty of spare cable - yes there were only 3 pieces about a metre long each.

I thought for a moment there wastn a 20amp fuse but found that last night.

Thanks

T.
Old 13 December 2002, 07:10 PM
Trumble
Scooby Regular

Cool

Right - finally got round to starting today:

I've :

1. Took the fogs off. (easy once correct phillips PH3 screwdriver located!)

2. Took them apart and extracted the existing wires (also easy)

3. Tried to fit 90degree connectors - (not so easy - Infact I totally stuffed two of them - and the other two dont fit as the wires arent long enough - yes I should have read the earlier posts in this thread !

4. Tried to buy some more 90degree spade connectors - no way not on the face of this planet - you name it I tried them - only place that could have some is rs components - and I couldnt get them today.

5. Manage to cadge some other straight connectors from local dealer (bigs thanks to them) and carefully bent them to 90 degrees - fitted some extensions and popped everything back together - tried the lights and then still light - phew.

6. Bolted lights to L shaped brackets with supplied bolt and plastic nut (with allen bolt hole - looks like they may adjust without removing - time will tell) - dead easy.

Now my next question is :

As part of the kit I got two of these:

One for each side ...

But I cant see where they should go !

Help

T.

[Edited by Trumble - 12/13/2002 7:11:45 PM]
Old 13 December 2002, 07:34 PM
ids
Scooby Regular

i recon they are spare's probably from the origional Hella kits they have *******ised to make the subaru kit.

So they are allen bolts are they ? I have used normal galvanised M8's (again somehting missing from my kit)

I know what you mean about the right angle connectors. They are a right ****** to connect up to the bulbs. I even split the glue seal on the grommet on mine and gained a few mm extra....

They are good lights but as I said before the quality aint what I expected, especially from Prodrive. ...... Enough moaning

Ids
Old 13 December 2002, 07:53 PM
Trumble
Scooby Regular

The m8's with plastic nut are really good - I'm sure they'll be adjustable once on the car.

I think you're right they must be from the original kit - but they dont fit the lamps as they are more like m10's.

I'm off to look for the mystical relay and grey connector tomorrow - thats providing I can stave off the decorating for another day...

Thanks

T.
Old 13 December 2002, 09:34 PM
ids
Scooby Regular

as i say mate... if you need any help... drop me a line

ids
Old 21 December 2002, 08:54 AM
Trumble
Scooby Regular