Notices

80/100 Watt Headlamp Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 11 April 2002, 03:03 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

Sorry, can't accept that. You're confusing brightness, for which there is no legal limit, and is measured in candle power, or Lumens, with wattage, for which there is a legal limit. Wattage is obviously in Watts.
AFAIK, the "50%brighter" type bulbs use a different gas inside, a different type, and smaller glass envelope, which enables the smaller (??) filament to burn hotter at the SAME current. If the current is the same, then so is the power, as power= voltage x current, and the voltage is fixed by the car battery or alternator. As the filament is hotter, it's brighter, so the brightness does go up.
No-one expects something for nothing, and I don't think you get it here, not at £20 a pair, when standard bulbs can be had for £8.
Also, I'm pretty sure that the filament life is less than in a standard bulb too?
Alcazar
Edited to say: if brightness had a legal limit, then HID's would all be illegal, wouldn't they? But they can get away with it, as they only use 35W, and that's well below the legal limit for wattage.

[Edited by alcazar - 11/4/2002 3:06:53 PM]
Old 27 October 2002, 09:01 PM
Gavin G
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Just wondering if these would be safe to use in my MY98 Impreza? Any chance of overheating etc.?

Cheers

Gavin
Old 27 October 2002, 09:33 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got them on my my00, I haven't ried taking the bulb out, but so far I haven't had any probs.
Ron.
Old 27 October 2002, 10:00 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
No probs for over a year now. I've heard that imports run these as standard but not had it confirmed 100%. Some peeps have reported melted connectors and even melted headlamp reflectors but mine have been fine. I suspect maybe problems if you run 90/130 bulbs and sit in traffic for a long time, which I don't.

The standard lights must be capable of handling a constant 60w indefinitely so 80w on dipped isn't that much higher, but the extra vision is good. And how long do you run on full-beam? A few seconds at a time usually?

A good, cheap and effective fix for crap lights if you ask me.

Richard.

PS At your own risk etc etc. You know these bulbs are illegal, don't you?
Old 27 October 2002, 11:22 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Question

I've seen threads where people say the filament life is not very long for the money you pay, so be careful.
I have Philips Vision Plus 50% brighter ones in mine, which makes their light output equivalent to 90/85W. They are in Morettes though, so when I select main beam I get an extra 55W there.
Alcazar
Old 29 October 2002, 01:23 PM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

The connectors on both sides of my car (MY00) melted using 100/80W filaments, but I'm certainly in the minority - loads of people have done this mod without any problems. I'm just not inclined to try again - might be v. expensive next time.

Cheers
Kav
Old 30 October 2002, 01:19 PM
DaveMcC
Scooby Regular

Been running these for over a year now - no probs, just much better vision at night

Trending Topics

Old 30 October 2002, 01:26 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Three and a half years now and no problems - big difference over standard.

Kevin.
Old 30 October 2002, 05:57 PM
WUZ
Scooby Senior

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Melted the drivers supply wire - not bad for 2 years worth.

I can live with that

Russell
Old 30 October 2002, 07:05 PM
JFB
Scooby Regular

That wattage is illegal on the road isn't it? A point worth remembering in case accident happens because blinded by lights etc. That's what kept me to 60watt PIAA Superwhites and now Vision plus with PIAA Spotlights which aren't too bad on dips but superb on heads.

Jerome
Old 04 November 2002, 01:48 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation

Alcazar

I have Philips vision plus but don't be fooled into thinking that they are equivalent to higher wattage bulbs - they're not.

The are 50% brighter than their std philips bulbs but they are still within the legal limit (or on it for brightness).

You don't get something for nothing. The only way to get brighter bulbs is to get bigger (illegal) wattage bulbs - OK?

You takes your choice.

F
Old 04 November 2002, 07:12 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Leaving the science aside, Philips VisionPlus are not as bright as 80/100 bulbs. Tried them. I've also tried PIAA PowerWhite (I think) which were good, but cost £45 EACH and lasted only a few months.

I can't see anyone being blinded by higher-wattage bulbs in a Scoob. The problem is the reflectors are crap and the light is wasted. Went out in the Missus' 206 last night and the headlights were fantastic! That's how bad Scoby lights are

Richard.
Old 04 November 2002, 08:06 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

If they are E marked, they are legal. If not, they aren't - simple as that.

I've NEVER seen a 100w bulb E marked (the ones in mine aren't LOL ).

Vision Plus aren't as bright as 100w (depending on which 100w bulb, they can vary).

It's all down to reflector and glass design as to how efficiently the lamp can put the light down the road.

If two cars have identical bulbs fitted, say Vision Plus, and one has good lights and the other are poor, it's ALL down to the reflector/lens. The bulb will only put out X amount of light whatever it's in, it's how the reflector and lens project them down the road.
Old 04 November 2002, 10:25 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Almost correct DaveTS

It's actually the temperature of the bulb and the spectrum of light that's emitted. HID have a different colour and can 'pick out' white lines better.

If you really want I can ask a friend who just happens to be the UK authority on photometry (if not Europe).

F
Old 05 November 2002, 09:02 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Wink

Floyd
I know that, and wasn't disputing it

If you read my post again I was making the point that two different lamps can perform differently with identical bulbs in, due to different reflector and lens design
Old 05 November 2002, 09:36 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

IMO it was a sad day when round lights ceased to be stylish.
The "twin headlamp" design of the Cortina Mk111 and the later Capris were amongst the best, but I've NEVER had a set of headlights that came anywhere close to the old Cibie "Biodes", and they were with standard 55W H1 bulbs.
Alcazar
Old 05 November 2002, 01:00 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Wink

Oh, yes you're right Dave. I just don't seem to take real notice of what you're saying anymore

Anyway, as Dave says it is down to reflector and lens design. Two 'E' marked H4 bulbs can put out different levels of light but they shouldn't excend the limit : @ 13.2v 68w dipped and 78w main with 1000/1650 Lumens max output. Different colours can pick out white lines better but the max level must not be exceeded.

HID are 35w @ 85v giving 3200 Lumens and that is bright but not necessarily better as the 'cut off' is sharp. Main on HID is of course excellent. HID's must also have auto load levelling and auto wash to be legal. HID's were designed for Europe and autobans and not for British roads, where a good H4 in a nice reflector will be better.

All lamps must fall within the colour box for white light (yellow - blue).

PIAA 80/100 are illegal for road use and there have been cases of bulbs being sent to labs for analysis after a crash.

What we all want is AFL (advanced front lights). They have bend lights for the corners (like the old DS) and other features like speed sensing for fast motorways, rain sensing and tunnels intelligence. They're on their way....

F
Old 05 November 2002, 01:24 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Wink

Floyd, stop being sarky you old fairy
Old 05 November 2002, 01:31 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Question

Floyd: you seem to know a bit about this. I'm intrigued as to why you say that an H4 in a good reflector would be better for British roads?
Is this based on research, or is it your opinion?
I'm thinking of getting some HID "hilow" units for my Morette outer lights, which are, AFAIK, a "good reflector", so am I going to think I've wasted money if I do? I'm running PVP in them at the mo., with HID driving lights.
Alcazar