Notices

Drive lights

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2002, 09:46 AM
mark@wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Earlier this year I rearranged the front end of my 93 WRX involuntarily on the back of another car, thus destroying my upgraded drive lights. These had been wired in using the Scoobysport wiring method, copied off a friends car. So that the drive lights came on when using main beam only.
When the repairing garage then replaced the broken lights with standard fogs, they chose to rewire them as per the standard operating way, ie dash switch operated: on all the time. Yesterday I got my new drive lights and tried to wire them in only to find that all the wiring I had used was still in place, but the lights operate as per standard. I have checked and rechecked the wiring and it is all as per the scoobysport loom but the lights still work on the standard method. Does anyone have any idea how they may have done this. I am totally baffled.
Mark
Old 13 October 2002, 07:45 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Cool

Did you fit the new lights yourself?
If you did, I assume you removed the existing foglight connector when you took off the foglights, taped it up ,and tucked it away out of use behind the lights. DO NOT use it at all.
You need a seperate feed for the drives from battery, via a relay to lights. The other terminals on the relay come from headlight mainbeam, and go to earth.
Wiring your driving lights any other way is actually illegal, as they must extinguish when you go off mainbeam.
If you're still not sure, either repost, or mail me, and I'll give you the terminal numbers, and more details of how to rewire.
Alcazar
Old 13 October 2002, 09:24 PM
mark@wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply Alcazar. I found, well DaveW found, that I had taken an earth through the existing wiring instead of direct to the body. Once that was done they worked fine. I know all the crack about wiring them to be legal, as the post says, had them done properly before I smashed the bumper.