Morrettes on MY97 Scooby

Search this Thread

Old 30 September 2002, 12:56 AM
JamieMacdonald
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi,

I've got a MY97 Scooby with a morrette light conversion. For some reason one of the inner 'high beam' lights went out so I had a fiddle and now neither the inner lights will come on! I suspect a fuse has gone as no power is coming through to the inner bulbs although the outer 'main beam' lights are working fine. I've found a relay which sounds like it's working (clunking) but not sure how to test it.... is anyone familiar with the morrette set-up and have an idea what might be wrong?

Many thanx,
Jamie
Old 30 September 2002, 11:31 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

What were you fiddling with when it went out?
If it was the relay, check the connections to it.
Is the fuse: on the relay, or seperate? have a look at it too.
check the connections to the bulbs, and the bulbs themselves.
If you were fiddling with the back of the mainbeam unit when it went out, you may have caused a short circuit between the feed wire to the bulb, and the earth. Look at both units to check. If you did, it will have blown the fuse, but may still be shorting, so you need to look.
If your relay is clunking, it sound like it's OK, how do you know that the power is getting to the lamps? Are both lamp earths in place?
The only prob I've had with mine has been getting the b*ggers set up, they're not exactly easy to get at, are they?
Alcazar
Old 30 September 2002, 01:11 PM
JamieMacdonald
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi! Just for clarity, the yellow ones on the following picture are the ones which are dead. The red ones are still ok....

What were you fiddling with when it went out?
I was fiddling with the o/s inner bulb which was still working initially. It was only the n/s inner bulb which had gone out at first. I tested them and they were both getting 12V but I was putting the o/s one back in when it was still on (stupid I know!) and there was a little spark and it went out. Both the bulbs test ok but neither are getting any power through when high beam is switched on
If it was the relay, check the connections to it.
I checked the relay afterwards and all the connections were fine.
If you were fiddling with the back of the mainbeam unit when it went out, you may have caused a short circuit between the feed wire to the bulb, and the earth. Look at both units to check. If you did, it will have blown the fuse, but may still be shorting, so you need to look.
This sounds about right but I don't know where the fuse is on a Morrette setup, I don't think it's in the standard fusebox. There is a fuse near the battery but I'm not sure what it goes to and it is ok anyway.
Are both lamp earths in place?
How do I check these?

Thanks for the response

Jamie
Old 30 September 2002, 04:17 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

On my Morettes, the fuse is a small seperate fuseholder, coloured black, on a red wire leading from battery positive to the relay.
Some have the fuse actually ON the relay. Try replacing the fuse with a new one, sometimes they look OK, but ARE fused (blown).
If you're certain that the bulbs are receiving power,(ARE you certain?), then it looks as if you've blown the bulbs.
The only ways to test them are:
1. Use a multimeter, check the
resistance of the bulb, which should NOT be infinity,or,
2. CAREFULLY make up a bit of cable from the battery positive to touch to the positive side of the bulb, while holding thre negative side (doesn't matter which is which), to the negative on your battery. A friend to help here is useful, and ensures you don't put a dead short across your battery!!!
DON'T hold it on for long, as they get BL**DY hot!!
Just been out to look at mine, and the earth wires go back, via a T connector straight to the battery earth.
Not too easy to see, as I have an air horn compressor behind there too!
You should be able to find yours by following the two black wires from the rear of the main beam units. One of them connects to a blue wire which is your feed, the other is earth. Follow it to it's end, and ensure it's a good earth.
My bet is the bulbs---halogen bulbs don't take kindly to being "messed" with.
Let me know if this works.
cheers, Alcazar
Old 01 October 2002, 12:07 PM
JamieMacdonald
Scooby Regular

Thanks to alcazar my lights are now working again (Cheers mate ).

I managed to trace a wire back to the battery and found a fuse which had blow (15A). It was really tucked away between the battery and the washer fluid bottle. It had blown so I replaced it and the o/s high beam came on again, so I was back to where I started - n/s bulb still not working, but power to both bulbs. I took the n/s bulb out and the filament was ok but the contacts looked a bit dodge so I cleaned them up and tested it again - hey presto, all lights are now working!

I think the bulb may be on the way out though, are these just standard bulbs that you can pick up from Halfords etc.?
Old 01 October 2002, 12:28 PM
JamieMacdonald
Scooby Regular

Wink

Old 01 October 2002, 12:35 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Way to go!
I reckon the bulbs are H2,(someone correct me if I'm wrong), and are available at Halfords etc, but I think you might struggle for some uprated ones.
Mine has standard bulbs in the inner ones, Vision Plus 50% extra ones in the outer pair.
My main gripe is trying to get the inners aligned, the little swines!
Alcazar

Trending Topics

Old 02 October 2002, 09:29 PM
Moles Dad
Scooby Regular

"little swines" you aint kidding bud