Notices

Anyone fitted new STI7 lights to standard WRX?

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 2002, 01:45 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi all,

Ive got some STI 7 lights and want to fit them to my regular MY01 WRX.

Sub garage says Ill need an STI7 wiring loom, but sure thats rubbish, Im sure some will plug straight in while may have to adapt the rest.

Anyone done it or recomend place for electrical plugs etc, pref in South!

Andy
Old 21 August 2002, 09:19 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

This has come up on here a number of times. The wiring is totally different because of the adjuster motors and AFAIK nobody has done it yet.
Old 22 August 2002, 10:02 AM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Cool

Looks like Id best be first then, watch this space...............................
Old 22 August 2002, 11:44 AM
klt599
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Had STI LIghts Installed on my MY01
They are a great improvement in lighting output
a Autoelectrical place did it for $160 AUS

Old 22 August 2002, 01:04 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Im hoping to do it for the cost of a few plugs and a bit of leg work to find them. results to follow
Old 23 August 2002, 03:50 PM
Jon1T
Scooby Regular

Talking

ADP - I'm very interesd on how you get on with this, so please keep us all updated. Where did you get your Sti lights from, and if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for them?

Regs
Jon
Old 23 August 2002, 06:46 PM
jah
Scooby Regular

Was at the dealer today asking the same thing (STi lights on WRX). They told it's a simple swap and the connectors are the same. So maybe this connector problem is only with RHD cars.

Will know the price on Monday and decide after that if I will swap the bugeyes for STi ones.

Those who have tried both, is the light output better on STi units ? I find the WRX bugeyes a big improvement over MY99 candles and would not like to end up with something worse...
Old 25 August 2002, 07:09 PM
V5-APS
Scooby Regular

This place makes a harness adapter for most light conversions.....

http://deepthought.carumba.org/~jimhoyd/jimhoyddesign/index.htm

Not sure if the levellers will work. May be worth mailing him.
Old 25 August 2002, 11:09 PM
klt599
Scooby Newbie

Cool

They were quite easy to fit the wiring was a straightforward job amd took the sparky less than an hour

The Output and night vision is an amazing improvement the cutoff is like the Audi Projector headlights with a sharp cutoff. If a HID kit is fitted the output would be second to none.

[Edited by klt599 - 8/25/2002 11:12:50 PM]
Old 25 August 2002, 11:15 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

KLT

Forgive me for being thick but isn't that an Sti?

Phil
Old 26 August 2002, 12:14 AM
klt599
Scooby Newbie

Started life as a humble wrx
Just had the wheels powdercoated also

Forgot how much I paid for the lights but i got them through www.japanparts.com

[Edited by klt599 - 8/26/2002 12:16:14 AM]
Old 27 August 2002, 01:05 PM
jah
Scooby Regular

Andy (ADP),

How is the headlight wiring done ? If I remember right, on H4 the low beam is turned off when high beam is used. This does not suit separate bulbs so well and IMHO would look weird if the low beam lights turn off when you switch to high beam.

Have you done some changes to the wiring and/or relays to make the low beam stay on ?

- Jari
Old 27 August 2002, 02:03 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Edited as misread post

[Edited by Dave T-S - 8/27/2002 2:06:04 PM]
Old 27 August 2002, 03:37 PM
jah
Scooby Regular

Related to my previous post...

Just remembered that the wiring situation is connection-wise exactly the same as with Morettes and UK300 lights.

Can anyone with dual headlights (STi/Morette/UK300/WRC) confirm if the low beam stays on or is turned off when you switch to high beam ?

Just ordered my set of STi lights. The dealer swears they are a 10-minute job to install and promised to do the install for free
if things turn out ugly.
Old 28 August 2002, 02:36 PM
NewWrX
Scooby Regular

Cool

Jah,

Out of curiosity how much were the STI lights in the end?
Old 28 August 2002, 03:36 PM
jah
Scooby Regular

Errr... Expensive, with capital E.

On the other hand, when you just have to have something, you just have to have something, no matter what it costs. It's like a drug habit.

1070 EUR (approx. 670 UKP). Not much competition as far as who are selling those and it shows. On the other hand, Vivid Racing in US sells JDM non-HID headlights for USD 820 so with shipping and import duties that would have been even more expensive and I think those are RHD lights. I need LHD in order to be legal on the roads here.

And the dealers promise of free installation in case they are not plug and play is IMHO worth quite a lot of money in this case.
Old 20 November 2002, 11:09 AM
marcusg
Scooby Regular

Question

Jah,

I've been trying to find out more about this conversion.
Have you had any joy with your STI headlight? Was the wiring as you expected?
Please tell me more. There are quite a few people out there who would love to know how you got on.
Thanks, Marcus
Old 20 November 2002, 10:22 PM
jah
Scooby Regular

Marcus,

Believe it or not but I still don't have the lights... They are at the dealer and everything is ready except the part that everyone wants, the leveler converter. The dealer has sent the schematics of both WRX and STi to some fellow that does electronics to look at.

Meanwhile I have done some brain exercise and developed my own schematic for the leveling converter. Total electronic component count at the moment about 20 (1 IC, 8 transistors + a bunch of resistors) and I think it would work. Parts cost estimated at about 10-15 Euros. Now I only need to build it.
Old 21 November 2002, 01:04 PM
Kev_turbo
Scooby Regular

I fitted Morrettes to my MY02 WRX and the lights use all of the original connectors AND have an extra relay and +'ve and -'ve feed to enable the driving lights to stay on with the main beam lights. Should be a doddle to do as far as the lighting goes, the levellers on the sti lights could be a different question.

I originally looked into getting some STI lights and the dealer conversation went something like.

Me : Hi, I want some STI lights for my MY02
Dealer : OK, £365
Me : Not bad
Dealer : Plus VAT
Me : Hmmmmm Not too sure now.
Dealer : EACH
Me : Bloody keep 'em

Kev
Old 21 November 2002, 03:47 PM
jah
Scooby Regular

I now have the components necessary for the electronics part of the leveling converter. Total cost EUR 13.30 of which 7.15 is the printed circuit board (Bought a big one so I can cut a suitable size and shape piece out of it). So the components cost EUR 6.15. This does not include wires and connectors that are obviously needed but I want to build the circuit first to see if it works.

I'll post a schematic and component details if it works as expected. No point in spreading a schematic of something that blows up your lights and/or wiring.
Old 22 November 2002, 11:15 PM
jah
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

The circuit didn't behave like it should. My mistake, should have seen that from the schematic. The good news is that I know where the problem is and so I can correct it.

Have now revised the circuit and going to get a new set of parts tomorrow (It is easier to go and buy new set of parts than try to unsolder the the ones I have from the circuit board).

Old 23 November 2002, 07:09 PM
jah
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I got it working! The "device" now converts the WRX three-wire leveling to STi six-wire style.

The story so far is that the "electronics man" of the dealer gave up trying to make a converter so I'm on my own. However, the dealer is very interested in seeing how far I will get with this. So I got one of the headlights now at home to play with. Haven't tried with the converter yet because of one slight problem: I have no idea which of the six pins on the headlight is which.

I know that one is power (+12V), one is ground and the 4 rest are for the 4 level positions of the adjuster. There is a thread at NASIOC (Former i-club) that describes these but they have different wire colours than what I have.

Anyone with an STi7 and a multimeter ? Basically need to check which of the pins carry +12V and which don't in all 4 switch positions.
Old 25 November 2002, 06:54 PM
jah
Scooby Regular

Got the STi schematic from the dealer. No more guessing which wire is which.

And now I have tried the converter with the headlight and it definitely works. The motor drives the light into different positions based on voltage applied to the input wire.

Cannot post a picture of my testing setup because the batteries in my camera are flat but it's quite a sight with loose wires all over the place...