Notices

Foglight Cracked - should I replace it or New driving lights?

Search this Thread

Old 10 August 2002, 06:11 PM
fubar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of the foglights on my MY99 has cracked (again!).

If I DO replace it again - are there some plastic protectors to put on easily to avoid this in the future.

OR
Should I get some more useful driving lights instead?

I'm no mechanic/electrician, and my missus is already dismayed at the mods I'm making to the car, so any driving lights would need to be relatively cheap.

Recommendations?

What price for a pair of driving lights?
Which are the best value?
Can a monkey (like me) do a simple straight swap? (I'm not about to muck about with running new wires to the dash).

Thanks.
Ian.
Old 10 August 2002, 06:57 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

The foglights on My01 cars are seriously hard glass. If you're breaking them regularly then any driving lights you fit will need new lenses on a weekly basis. So yes, you need some kind of protection. Scoobysport sell plastic protectors that fit their driving lights.

A straightforward swop is a piece of p*ss, 10 minutes with a screwdriver, 3 bolts and a plug each side. But if you do this then your driving lights will come on with side lights and dip beam. Driving lights need to come on only with mainbeam, otherwise they're not useful, bl**dy annoying to all other road users and illegal. So you'll need to do some rewiring anyway. Scoobysport kits come with a wiring kit. I'm sure they could fit too if you ask nicely.
Old 12 August 2002, 12:10 AM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

You can get plastic covers from your dealer that fit over the MY99 fogs, they are about £25 I think.

But if your not using the fog lights (and I never did) and you do a bit of driving in the dark on narrow roads then get a set of driving lights. Cost will be between £80-800 depending on whether you buy cheap lights and wire them in yourself (which you say you don't want to do) or get something like the Scoobysport Cibies (probably around £300 fitted) or go silly and get some HID's.

But if you get driving lights then I'd also uprate your headlight bulbs as going from main beam with 2x130w driving lights to dipped with standard bulbs is a bit scary as its like you've just switched off your lights altogether.

DaveW.
Old 21 August 2002, 05:04 PM
GEJL
Scooby Regular

I've got the old fogs of my MY2000, which you could have one of if you want to replace your existing one (for a small fee!).

They're spare 'cos I swapped them for a nice pair of PIAA driving lamps... Can't wait for winter and more night-time driving!

I'm not a million miles from you if you are interested (East of Reading).