Notices

Help - electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 07 May 2002, 02:47 PM
TBMeech
Scooby Regular

Location: Surrey Somewhere, From 341 bhp '99 STI V to '98 Merc CLK & '00 Peugeot 306 XSI to '01 E46 M3 :)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds to me like you've blown a fuse, I remember doing this once when I fitted my Alpine gear into my MY99

Edited to say durrr just read that you have checked all the fuses...!

[Edited by TBMeech - 7/5/2002 3:03:10 PM]
Old 04 July 2002, 09:25 AM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I recently upgraded the stereo in the car to a new Sony model, something which I've done many times and never had a glitch. I've done loads of wiring on other cars without problems. However the next time I started the car I noticed the following things aren't working:

Anything on the dash that runs on key position 2, i.e. speedo, revcounter, warning lights, etc. The clock and door open warning work.

Indicators don't work, although the hazard lights do.

Electric windows don't work.

There may be others, I haven't tried everything in the car. There's definitely a link to the ignition since it only affects things that need the key to be at 2. Strangely though the car starts and runs fine, and things like lights and wipers still work fine.

Can anyone link these items and come up with a likely suggestion? I've checked fuses and they all seem to be fine, although possibly a relay? Or maybe I have disturbed a loom running past the radio area (ironically the radio works fine!).

Cheers.
Old 04 July 2002, 09:42 AM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Did you use a Subaru to Sony plug or did you cut and splice the wiring!!

Old 04 July 2002, 06:25 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

The wiring had already been spliced directly to the radio that was in the car, so I cut the connections (only the ones that were going to the old radio) and soldered on a pair of ISO plugs. Radio works perfectly BTW.
Old 07 July 2002, 01:19 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

Well I think I'll check the fuses again, can never be too careful (pity Subaru use those damn mini-fuses though, they are a nightmare to remove!). Failing that I think the next suspect is a relay - ignition relay looks like the first to be checked.

I'm starting to think it was a coincidence, because it only affects things on the ignition circuit (none of the radio wires are on this, only permanent/accessory) plus the original radio wires were all done with connector blocks so I never actually cut anything.

The search goes on...
Old 08 July 2002, 09:10 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

TTT - anyone?
Old 09 July 2002, 10:23 AM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

It's not the ingition barrel it self? Loose wire???

Just an idea

Trending Topics

Old 11 July 2002, 01:57 AM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

OK I've went through pretty much everything electrical and it's all working except the following:

Combination meter (i.e. Dashboard) although illumination, clock and door open warning work.

Indicators (hazard lights work)

Electric windows

Surely there must be some obvious link between these three? They all stopped working at the same time. I'm pretty convinced it's the ignition relay but can't for the life of me find the bloody thing [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]. Supposedly it's around the A-pillar area on or near the bulkhead behind the dash? Surely someone has changed this relay at sometime
Old 07 September 2002, 03:43 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

Nah, wish it was though that would be easy to sort! The engine starts and runs fine, as do some of the things that need the ignition (headlights, wipers, etc) just that some others don't. There's obviously a breakoff point somewhere between these groups of equipment (possibly a relay) which is causing the problem

Wouldn't be so hard to find if I had a decent wiring diagram, gawd I wish there was a haynes manual for this car!

[Edited by Paul_M - 7/9/2002 3:44:19 PM]