Notices

how do i replace the bulbs in Cibie lights??

Search this Thread

Old 22 June 2002, 11:17 AM
Nezz10
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a pair of 200W Cibie driving lights on the front of my scooby and am having diffucultly in changing the blown bulb/s. I am guessing that I just unscrew the three screws holding the lamp in place then undo the screw at the bottom.

Is this right?

The problem being that the screw on the bottom of the lamp is so tight that I end up grining the flanges away trying to undo it :-(

Is this the only way to get them out? I may have to grind it off and replace the screw.

The standard wiring looks very small as well probably no bigger than 20 AWG. Is this really big enough for 200W? The previous owner said it keep blowing the bulbs so I was thinking of replacing the loom for some really thick stuff decreasing the resistanmce in the circuit getting more power to the bulbs making them glow hotter increasing their resistance and bringing down the current running through them and hopefully stopping them blowing so often.

Is there method in my maddness??
Old 22 June 2002, 12:13 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Assuming they are Cibie Oscar + units, yes you need to remove the screw under the lamp, and yes the slot always chews off it

Re putting thicker wire in, unless the existing wiring is bell wire, the bulb filament will always be the greatest resistance.

When you say 200w lamps/bulbs, you presumably mean for the pair....

If you are using H2 bulbs, you may well find the springs on the bulb holders that hold the bulbs have overheated and will need replacing too. This is common.