Notices

Blob to hawkeye Headlight harness

Search this Thread

Old 17 March 2020, 03:06 AM
AkumaOG
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Blob to hawkeye Headlight harness

So i have a 2005 Impreza RS Hatch that i was in a front end collision with and i swapped the front end with a 2007 Hawkeye so now i need to change the left and right harness in the car from a 2005 to a 2007. I've literally scoured the interwebs and have not gotten a definitive guide or set of diagrams on how to convert the three plugs of a blobeye subaru headlight harness to that of a single hawkeye headlight harness plug. Any help is appreciated!
Old 17 March 2020, 08:33 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

First off welcome.
You are based in Canada so US domestic models apply.
No HID involved just Halogen bulbs??

Blobeye

Hawkeye

Would have thought it easier to try and retain the Blobeye wiring and modify it to suit the Hawkeye bulb layout......
or if you have the matching Hawk socket "with tails" modify the existing loom connections.

Blobeye headlight

Blobeye clearance

Blobeye front turn signal

Hawkeye headlight

Hawkeye clearance

Hawkeye turn signal

Old 17 March 2020, 06:11 PM
AkumaOG
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Don Clark
First off welcome.
You are based in Canada so US domestic models apply.
No HID involved just Halogen bulbs??

Blobeye

Hawkeye

Would have thought it easier to try and retain the Blobeye wiring and modify it to suit the Hawkeye bulb layout......
or if you have the matching Hawk socket "with tails" modify the existing loom connections.

Blobeye headlight

Blobeye clearance

Blobeye front turn signal

Hawkeye headlight

Hawkeye clearance

Hawkeye turn signal
"or if you have the matching Hawk socket "with tails" modify the existing loom connections."

^^^I don't really understand this part.

The only reason I thought it'd be easier this is because the blob eye has more sockets than the Hawkeye. I'm kind of a noob when it comes to wiring so it was just my first thought.
Old 17 March 2020, 07:29 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AkumaOG
"or if you have the matching Hawk socket "with tails" modify the existing loom connections."

^^^I don't really understand this part.
The only reason I thought it'd be easier this is because the blob eye has more sockets than the Hawkeye. I'm kind of a noob when it comes to wiring so it was just my first thought.
I'm assuming the wiring you are using is the original blobeye? How were you planning on connecting the three blobeye plugs to the 8 way hawkeye connector and have a detachable connection?
Here is an example of a bulb holder with tails

If you have the matching plug (socket is on the lamp) with tails cut from the main loom it makes it easier to cut and connect into the original blobeye loom.
Having looked at the blobeye lights you are, as you say, probably best using the 8 way connector setup and chop the main loom.

For simplicity you need the 2 plugs with wires attached, from a hawkeye to fit this (8 way - 7 pins used).

Old 17 March 2020, 08:18 PM
AkumaOG
Scooby Newbie

I was planning on using the plugs i got from the hawk that i used to take the other parts of the front clip off. i them for both sides. I just don't know which wires from the bugeye loom go into the hawk plug. sorry about my bad terminology.

The accident happened in the winter so i kind of adapted the bugeye plugs to the hawkeye housing kind of jank just to get it back on the road, but with summer rolling around i want to do it right because i plan on buying some better housings, my current ones are faded and sun damaged really bad, so i don't want to have to change the wiring and **** on brand new housing and hope they work.

Last edited by AkumaOG; 17 March 2020 at 08:24 PM.
Old 17 March 2020, 09:54 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

You have the wiring diagrams for the various circuits for both arrangements so you or an electrician should be able to identify the various wires.

Old 18 March 2020, 01:55 AM
AkumaOG
Scooby Newbie

Ok so im kind of making sense of these diagrams but im just wondering about the letter annotations next to the pin numbers . i'm assuming those are the colors of the wires, which im assuming something like "BG" which isn't listed on the color chart would be a Black are green wire? or am i wrong?

And i don't think my car has clearance lights so i shouldn't have to worry about that right?

Last edited by AkumaOG; 18 March 2020 at 02:36 AM. Reason: Clearance lights
Old 18 March 2020, 07:26 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

BG would be a black wire with a green stripe on it.

I'd be very surprised if you don't have some form of clearance/side/parking lights