Notices

Mounting aux lights on 2019 Impreza

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2019, 01:04 AM
Alex_Rochester
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounting aux lights on 2019 Impreza

Just got my new Impreza Sport wagon, and the headlights are as mediocre as I've been told, so now I'm considering my options for auxiliary lights. I've found a rather tempting Hella aux light with H4 bulbs, and I'm perfectly capable of wiring them up myself, but my choices for actual mounting are what I need advice with. Back when I rallied professionally, most cars had metal front bumper, but not so today. One light vendor offers a license plate bracket, which sounds like a good idea, provided that there is a metal beam behind the holes already there.

Aside from that method, has anybody else done a mount without ripping the bumper to shreds? Any idea will be appreciated.
Old 12 October 2019, 08:20 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 747 Likes on 620 Posts

I would be surprised if anyone on this UK based forum has actually seen a 2019 Sports wagon, let alone modified one, as interest in the newer models died with the WRX STI in 2018 when it was withdrawn from Europe.

The newest models are based on the new "global platform" so lots have changed "underneath the skin", but I don't think the need for some sort of bumper beam behind the plastic bumper cover has changed.
Although it seems the beam is smaller and has an "energy absorbing layer.

Have you thought about upgrading the headlight bulbs, if still halogen in your part of the world, and not LED??? (Looks like LED only available on the "Limited" in the US}.

Some are now rated at +150% light output over standard.

You can't mount in the grilles as they have "active grille shutters" which only leaves the dummy vents at the sides with the DRL's.
Old 13 October 2019, 12:25 AM
Alex_Rochester
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, that's my car, except mine's black, which makes the frumpy curves much less noticeable. Yes, I know that there is a metal beam somewhere underneath, but where? Under 12" of heavy foam? What do you do then; buy a 2' long expensive carbide drill and hope it doesn't set the foam alight or mar the bumper? I haven't looked closely yet, but maybe there is someplace unseen where a bracket could mount?

My headlights are halogen, the LED active units cost $1300, and you still need to install them. As for LED replacement bulbs, the way these bulbs are made you have several tiny LEDs stacked in a row. A halogen bulb has a much shorter filament, so the LED bulb is not focused to the reflector, which throws light in a less-defined pattern. In short, LED headlights are focused to their LED bulbs, but halogen headlight units will never be well focused with an LED replacement bulb.

The reason I'm posting here is that the Subaru forums here have little in the way of a 'tuner community', focusing more on groups like 'stance' people, and middle-age mom's gushing about their new Forester or Outback.

Last edited by Alex_Rochester; 13 October 2019 at 12:27 AM.
Old 13 October 2019, 06:19 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 747 Likes on 620 Posts

I was thinking about upgrading your Halogen bulbs to something like this

or similar not LED

The reason I'm posting here is that the Subaru forums here have little in the way of a 'tuner community', focusing more on groups like 'stance' people, and middle-age mom's gushing about their new Forester or Outback.

What about NASIOC ??

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/index.php
Old 13 October 2019, 10:29 PM
John 37
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Fitting auxiliary lights is becoming increasingly difficult to achieve sensibly on a road car where looks matter.
The easiest way to find out what's behind the bumper is to remove it.
There's been a lot of internet talk about fitting led bulbs into halogen lights. The general consensus is that reflector headlights give a poor beam but projector type are ok.
Projector type have a lens in front of the bulb.
This may be stating the obvious but fitting extra lights doesn't improve dipped beam.
Like headlights, auxiliary lights come as halogen, HID or led. The jury is still out on HID vs led. HID tend to be round, led are rectangular. This difference may affect your decision. Have a look at Lazer lights https://www.lazerlamps.com/home/lights/triple-r/triple-r-750-elite-3

Last edited by John 37; 13 October 2019 at 10:34 PM.
Old 29 November 2019, 10:38 AM
ST-X
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I don’t know if you found an answer, and I appreciate there’s going to be a big difference between the layout of what’s behind the bumper on an ‘03 and a ‘19, but this might give some ideas? I didn’t want any massive bars, and while this isn’t as tidy as it could, I’ve worked out how to do it neater now so the external visuals will be improved with the mk2. The fundamentals of using the crash beam remain unchanged though:

https://www.detailingworld.co.uk/for...343759&page=11