URGENT! replacement lights - CLASSIC

Search this Thread

Old 24 February 2010, 02:10 PM
Slystav
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face URGENT! replacement lights - CLASSIC

Hi guys,

someone drove into my front quarter and broke the headlight and sidelight plus some other bits. My question is, if I'm going to replace the lights what would you recommend as a good quality original or aftermarket product for an unmodified R reg 98 impreza wagon? I think I'd prefer to buy them for both sides to ensure they match - or if the cost is too high I might just go the scrapper for the passenger side lights. What do you think? Also, my headlights go up and down with the rotary switch on the dash, is there a motor or something that might have been damaged? do I have to specify a motor when I buy new lights?

Urgent please!

Thanks!
Old 24 February 2010, 03:25 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Scrapper is your best bet. DO watch the year though, you want 97-98. If you get 99 on, they are crystal lights, and you'll need a pair. Pre97 are a different shape. e-bay is your friend.
Ask the scrapper for electrically levelled lights, the motor transfers from one to the other.
If you need a new FOGlight, they are handed, get the n/s one.
Ditto sidelight and indicator, obviously.
Old 24 February 2010, 04:57 PM
Slystav
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply! Could you explain the difference between what I've got and 'crystal' lights please? Also does the motor move the housing or just the bulb etc? Might the motor be damaged as well? I've also heard about 'facelift', what is this?

I've had loads of trouble identifying my car since I bought it, could you or someone else give me an email address I could send a pic to? I don't have full membership. It's got a strange looking bumper and none of the specs seem to tie up!

Thanks again
Old 24 February 2010, 05:26 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Good grief, you don't want much, do you? LOL

Send me a pic, just click on my name and it'll give you my e-mail. Or post one, get it hosted free in photobucket. Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

Facelift? can of worms. It STARTED in 97 iirc, when the bumper, grille and bonnet changed slightly, 97 and 98 cars having ordinary looking lights with a plain reflector, and a fluted lens, (glass), on the front.

In 99 the bumper changed again, as did the grille and the lights, (but not the bumper), head and fog, all changed to crystal, in which the glass is now clear and the reflector has facets to focus the beam. The 99 onwards lights LOOKED better, but performed just the same: cr@p

The motor COULD be damaged, it sort of plugs into the rear of the headlight with a small ball-joint, and is held by IIRC two bolts. Take it off and see if it still works, if not, get one of those too.
It moves the reflector inside the light.
HTH