Low beam headlights have stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2019, 10:16 AM
buckerz69
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low beam headlights have stopped working

Hi all,

I own a 2003 WRX bugeye. Yesterday I was driving along the motorway and the power to the dash lights, stereo and dials started coming on and off. It did this a few times, so I stopped to investigate and found that the positive battery connection was loose. I tightened it up and all is now well with the car, except that my headlights are no longer working!!! Full beam and sidelights are fine, it's just the low beam that has stopped working on both sides.

I have checked the fuses behind the drivers side dash and they're fine. I've checked the fuses under the engine bay and they're fine. I've swapped the relay from the horn (which works) to one of the headlights and that didn't solve it.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what else to check?

Another thing I noticed is that once the airbag light wouldn't switch off the first time I restarted the car. I switched off the engine, restarted and the airbag light went off but it took longer than usual. Any advice would be really useful as I'm stumped!
Old 04 March 2019, 12:38 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

With ignition on and turning the lighting switch to position 2 (or using the headlight flasher option) it activates the headlight relays.
Each headlight relay, via a main board (engine bay) fuse allows power to both low and high beams of it's respective headlight so if high beams work low beams should already be on.
Have you checked the low beam bulbs and bulb holders, or it could be a low beam grounding point issue.

Old 04 March 2019, 01:04 PM
buckerz69
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for this extremely helpful post. I've just checked the bulbs and it looks like it knocked out both bulbs at the same time! Something I thought extremely unlikely, hence I didn't bother checking.

Looks like I need to head out for a new pair! Thank you again.
Old 04 March 2019, 01:42 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts