Notices

eBay LED Lightbars

Search this Thread

Old 25 July 2018, 03:36 PM
ST-X
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
Default eBay LED Lightbars

Has anyone had any experience with the LED lightbars on ebay? I know you do get what you pay for, but I'm not really willing/able to drop £500 on some Lazer ones from Nicky Grist. The alternative I was considering are the Hella 4000 Rallye's with 100W bulbs. Has anyone compared the two? The Lazer's are £500, the Hella's c£200 and the ebay 'WOW' ones are £50 inc a wiring kit. The appeal of the Hella's is a genuine 900m with the pencil beam (would use a Pencil/Driving pair) which up north would certainly give advanced warning of deer, even against the expensive LED lights.

Any experiences/thoughts/suggestions?

Cheers.
Old 26 July 2018, 05:32 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Hella USED to do some way decent rally lights using HID technology. Not cheap, but superb.

I've not been over impressed with the LED lights I've seen, they seem to produce a heck of a lot of scatter, no real control.

http://www.myhellalights.com/index.p...s/xenon-lamps/

4000i or 4000i compact.

The best lights I EVER had were Lucas Flarepath, around 1980.
Old 08 August 2018, 11:03 AM
ST-X
Scooby Regular

Thanks Alcazar, I was hoping someone was going to pipe up with an option that bucked the trend of cheap chinese junk on ebay but it seems not! Like you I've not been impressed with the cheap ones I've seen, although the full stage rally ones are pretty decent, if lacking in ultimate throw compared to the high spec HID spots.

As it happens I've discovered a friend has a set of 9" Luminators sat in the cupboard which are brand new so I'm gonna go for them. Okay, they're not the full Rallye 4000's but they are full size and can take the 100W bulbs so should be good for spotting/scaring herds of deer in the distance.

Cheers!
Old 08 August 2018, 11:26 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Good call. Make sure they are fitted rigidly, and being large, use lamp steadies at the tops, or cut and flatten long stainless jubilee clips to do the same job. There's nowt worse than a vibrating lamp when trying to drive quick, they give a strobe effect.

Also, build a decent loom with a relay to operate them: they draw too much current to take from any Scoob wiring, so use a fuse: 2 x100W + 200W, divide by 12 you get 16.67A, so use a 20A fuse, blade types are best. If you wire via a relay, you can have them come on with main beam and go off when dips are selected.

Ask if you need guidance.
Old 08 August 2018, 02:58 PM
ST-X
Scooby Regular

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I was going to get a proper Hella loom kit as they come with the waterproof connectors to fit the lamps directly as I want to be able to take them on/off as necessary. All the other wiring was going to be pretty heavy duty as I did suspect that the stock stuff wouldn't be up to much. Going to run it through a relay using a spare stock front fog switch so it all looks standard inside. Fingers crossed it should be straightforward enough, I have done accessory wiring before, but if not I'll definitely give you a shout.

Thanks again.
Old 09 August 2018, 03:20 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Mine are wired off two relays, one takes feed from the foglight switch, so I can actually choose NOT to use the extra lights with main beam, even though they are fixed in place.

One tip: do use sealed relays, or seal them with epoxy resin etc. My first one got water in and stopped working.