Notices

Evo battery or something lighter but still practicle

Search this Thread

Old 24 August 2017, 08:00 AM
aaron_ions
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evo battery or something lighter but still practicle

Hi all. Seems like my car battery is starting to struggle a bit... if left for a week or so it needs charging. Next years project is putting the car on a bit of a diet so I was looking into a replacement battery and maybe saving a couple of kilos as it all adds up where weight reduction is concerned.

After reading up, i have seen people going for light weight race batteries but you need to be keeping them on trickle charge or using them within a couple of days else they are flat. I havnt got the facilities to be putting the car on trickle charge so is their a happy medium with modern technology when it comes to batteries? one that will save a few kg's but still offer the same practicality?

Ive seen a few mention the evo 5/6 battery (i had an evo 5 and the batteries are noticeably smaller then what i have fitted to my 04 wrx) but not much mentioned about the longevity, how practical they are and any advantages where weight reduction is concerned.

Thanks in advance.
Old 24 August 2017, 08:27 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by aaron_ions
Hi all. Seems like my car battery is starting to struggle a bit... if left for a week or so it needs charging. Next years project is putting the car on a bit of a diet so I was looking into a replacement battery and maybe saving a couple of kilos as it all adds up where weight reduction is concerned.

After reading up, i have seen people going for light weight race batteries but you need to be keeping them on trickle charge or using them within a couple of days else they are flat. I havnt got the facilities to be putting the car on trickle charge so is their a happy medium with modern technology when it comes to batteries? one that will save a few kg's but still offer the same practicality?

Ive seen a few mention the evo 5/6 battery (i had an evo 5 and the batteries are noticeably smaller then what i have fitted to my 04 wrx) but not much mentioned about the longevity, how practical they are and any advantages where weight reduction is concerned.

Thanks in advance.
If you have an alarm and tracker they all do this,
A lite weight wont last as long as a standard mah while standing, so I cant see any real gain for you.
Old 24 August 2017, 09:05 AM
aaron_ions
Scooby Regular

yeah thats what ive read where the lightweight race versions are concerned. but isnt their a happy medium where u can still shave a couple of kg off but still get good practicality. i.e the evo battery? surely they are 3-4 kg lighter and must be ok for a daily if they do the same job on an evo?

thanks
Old 24 August 2017, 09:15 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by aaron_ions
yeah thats what ive read where the lightweight race versions are concerned. but isnt their a happy medium where u can still shave a couple of kg off but still get good practicality. i.e the evo battery? surely they are 3-4 kg lighter and must be ok for a daily if they do the same job on an evo?

thanks
Just have a dump before you go for a drive, it will make as much difference as a battery change.
Old 24 August 2017, 09:38 AM
aaron_ions
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
Just have a dump before you go for a drive, it will make as much difference as a battery change.
Nice. I will bare that in mind.

Alone yes a couple of kilos makes no difference. But like i said next years project is weight saving in general and a couple of kilo in various places all adds up once youve done the entire car as im sure you know.
Old 24 August 2017, 06:50 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a Nissan micra/Evo battery, you need terminal adapters, seemed ok for me after a week or so not starting car