ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Lighting and Other Electrical (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/)
-   -   Evo battery or something lighter but still practicle (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/1049526-evo-battery-or-something-lighter-but-still-practicle.html)

aaron_ions 24 August 2017 08:00 AM

Evo battery or something lighter but still practicle

Hi all. Seems like my car battery is starting to struggle a bit... if left for a week or so it needs charging. Next years project is putting the car on a bit of a diet so I was looking into a replacement battery and maybe saving a couple of kilos as it all adds up where weight reduction is concerned.

After reading up, i have seen people going for light weight race batteries but you need to be keeping them on trickle charge or using them within a couple of days else they are flat. I havnt got the facilities to be putting the car on trickle charge so is their a happy medium with modern technology when it comes to batteries? one that will save a few kg's but still offer the same practicality?

Ive seen a few mention the evo 5/6 battery (i had an evo 5 and the batteries are noticeably smaller then what i have fitted to my 04 wrx) but not much mentioned about the longevity, how practical they are and any advantages where weight reduction is concerned.

Thanks in advance. :thumb:

JDM_Stig 24 August 2017 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by aaron_ions (Post 11961642)
Hi all. Seems like my car battery is starting to struggle a bit... if left for a week or so it needs charging. Next years project is putting the car on a bit of a diet so I was looking into a replacement battery and maybe saving a couple of kilos as it all adds up where weight reduction is concerned.

After reading up, i have seen people going for light weight race batteries but you need to be keeping them on trickle charge or using them within a couple of days else they are flat. I havnt got the facilities to be putting the car on trickle charge so is their a happy medium with modern technology when it comes to batteries? one that will save a few kg's but still offer the same practicality?

Ive seen a few mention the evo 5/6 battery (i had an evo 5 and the batteries are noticeably smaller then what i have fitted to my 04 wrx) but not much mentioned about the longevity, how practical they are and any advantages where weight reduction is concerned.

Thanks in advance. :thumb:

If you have an alarm and tracker they all do this,
A lite weight wont last as long as a standard mah while standing, so I cant see any real gain for you.

aaron_ions 24 August 2017 09:05 AM

yeah thats what ive read where the lightweight race versions are concerned. but isnt their a happy medium where u can still shave a couple of kg off but still get good practicality. i.e the evo battery? surely they are 3-4 kg lighter and must be ok for a daily if they do the same job on an evo?

thanks

JDM_Stig 24 August 2017 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by aaron_ions (Post 11961656)
yeah thats what ive read where the lightweight race versions are concerned. but isnt their a happy medium where u can still shave a couple of kg off but still get good practicality. i.e the evo battery? surely they are 3-4 kg lighter and must be ok for a daily if they do the same job on an evo?

thanks

Just have a dump before you go for a drive, it will make as much difference as a battery change.

aaron_ions 24 August 2017 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig (Post 11961660)
Just have a dump before you go for a drive, it will make as much difference as a battery change.

Nice. I will bare that in mind.

Alone yes a couple of kilos makes no difference. But like i said next years project is weight saving in general and a couple of kilo in various places all adds up once youve done the entire car as im sure you know. :thumb:

bustaMOVEs 24 August 2017 06:50 PM

I have a Nissan micra/Evo battery, you need terminal adapters, seemed ok for me after a week or so not starting car